Premed 101 Forums

laptop writing things

I was talking to a young doc a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that throughout med school and residency, he had one of those laptop things that are small and you can write on the screen like a notebook (lol obviously i'm not a big tech guy)... he said that he found it to be invaluable - for taking down notes, cases, etc (i.e. throughout the day, even in the hospital, which would be more difficult to do with a comp/keyboard)... does anyone know what I am talking about? lol, what are those things called? if so, does anyone have any idea which company makes the best (in terms of fair price, most accessible, good for this kind of use, and most trustworthy) or have any experience with them?

I was talking to a young doc a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that throughout med school and residency, he had one of those laptop things that are small and you can write on the screen like a notebook (lol obviously i'm not a big tech guy)... he said that he found it to be invaluable - for taking down notes, cases, etc (i.e. throughout the day, even in the hospital, which would be more difficult to do with a comp/keyboard)... does anyone know what I am talking about? lol, what are those things called? if so, does anyone have any idea which company makes the best (in terms of fair price, most accessible, good for this kind of use, and most trustworthy) or have any experience with them?

They're called Tablet PCs. HP and other PC companies make them. I think one person in my class has one. At U of T you will not need to take notes on computer and I don't see a tablet as being very useful. In any event, I type faster than I can write so I don't see how a tablet would help. I think U of O has all their students use tablet PCs, but their curriculum is designed for it. You definitely don't need one for U of T. All your notes will be printed and given to you on a weekly basis, so the easiest thing to do is to write on the notes themselves. If you want to type notes, that is also possible.

They're called Tablet PCs. HP and other PC companies make them. I think one person in my class has one. At U of T you will not need to take notes on computer and I don't see a tablet as being very useful. In any event, I type faster than I can write so I don't see how a tablet would help. I think U of O has all their students use tablet PCs, but their curriculum is designed for it. You definitely don't need one for U of T. All your notes will be printed and given to you on a weekly basis, so the easiest thing to do is to write on the notes themselves. If you want to type notes, that is also possible.

Yea, I doubt they would be very useful for class note-taking. I think he may have been referring more so to taking notes when you are doing work in the hospital starting 3rd year and through residency (i.e. cases, etc.)

I also type faster than I write--and I don't have to decipher everything afterwards ;) I'll be buying a netbook...a tiny little pink one. :) I would prefer that to a stylus and tablet.

Archived