Premed 101 Forums

Deciding on philosophy course!

Hi, I'm going to be in my first year in Health Sciences at Ottawa U this September. One of my required courses is a philosophy course. If someone has taken either of the courses below or knows someone who has taken them, could you please give your opinion on them? I need help in deciding which I would prefer to take and I would appreciate any insight. Right now, I'm leaning towards Bioethics.

PHI 1370: Philosophical Issues in Health Care

Basic philosophical questions and theories about the nature of human beings and the meaning of life. Special emphasis on how such questions arise in the context of the health-care professions. Readings from classical and contemporary sources.

or

PHI 2396: Bioethics

Study of moral issues in medical research and health care. Possible topics include human and animal experimentation; the rights and duties of health professionals and patients; euthanasia, abortion, reproductive technologies, genetic screening; funding and allocation decisions. Role of moral theories and concepts in addressing these problems.

Thanks in advance

Alright well i have taken PHI2396 which in my opinion was a pretty decent course. It consists of a 30% midterm a 40% case study and 30% final which is a take home. In general the material for the midterm is easy the case study on the other hand was somewhat iffy in my opinion since there weren't any hard specifications more so just analyze the case. The take home was not too bad but the only way to check your essay is to appeal to the department according to the prof. This may suck because one of the TA's is only half TA which means he only marks and he doesn't remark or look at something twice so be wary. I had friends in Philosphical Issues in Health Care that said it was quite easy and small workload. I hope this helps.

I took PHI 1370, and I thought it was a great intro to Health Care Ethics... you will cover things like research ethics, euthenasia, allocation of resources, and all sorts of other fun stuff ^^ The course was interesting enough, and it wasn't too hard... I slacked off big time cause I had 8:30 class so didn't go to often, and I ended up with an A.. Consisted of a midterm, a research paper, and a final. Not too bad, just read the course pack and know your stuff.

I can't comment on the other course as I haven't taken or heard about it. I think you will find the PHI 1370 course interesting.

Archived