Premed 101 Forums

Does fare-dodging leave a criminal record?

Hello everyone,

so I go to UBC but i am on a co-op work term at the moment. i got my UPASS (bus pass given to post secondary students) in the mail for the summer semester but i lost it recently. today I tried to go to UBC early in the morning so I can get a replacement for a upass before my work starts, but woe is me they were checking fares as it is the beginning of the month...and I got caught. i tried to explain my situation but i tend to stutter like porky pig whenever i get nervous so i don't think i was able to convey my situation very well. in the end once i submitted all my personal information, the translink police guy told me i will be put into their system but and if i ever commit this type of 'fraud' as he put it again, they will detect it in their system... but he didn't charge me this time. so i am wondering, does this count as a criminal record??

please let me know, thank you!

Yes, you're going to go to jail.

Haha no, in all seriousness, don't worry about it. I'm from the same area, and something similar happened to me two years ago. First off transit "police" aren't real police, and warnings don't go on your permanent record. If anything, the only way a ticket can be traced back to you is if you happen to give out your driver's license #. But even then, they're transit cops, and are only half a tier above rent-a-cops.

Fraud at this small amount is considered a summary conviction offence and carries minimum sentences ranging from fines to community hours. As the crime being a summary conviction offence, you will not acquire a criminal record.

---> from my Law 12 textbook...final exam tomorrow, lol.

But in all seriousness, even if they do charge you, the most you will get is a fine (something around $150?), as stated on the poster stick on the buses.

Archived