Premed 101 Forums

I just submitted my OSAP and got a REEEEAAAALLLLLYYY low estimate for funding, only about 5000! Do you think I made a mistake somewhere, and is there anyone we can talk to?!!?!:confused::mad::confused:

ahhh, that is indeed very low! Anything special going on -

- did you earn a lot of money last year

- did you have to report your parents income (if you did you are past the time where that is needed anymore)

- some other assets

and of course it is possible on all of those forms to make a mistake somewhere. Good news is those can be corrected - often by working with your finanical aid office

Nothing significant for assets and no significant income. :confused:

I did report Parents income. Can you explain your second point, the part in the brackets. On the same topic I did not get the parents consent form! :confused:

Hope the admissions office can help!:(

Nothing significant for assets and no significant income. :confused:

I did report Parents income. Can you explain your second point, the part in the brackets. On the same topic I did not get the parents consent form! :confused:

Hope the admissions office can help!:(

Oh they will!

I am a bit fuzzy on this but you are now out of high school for more than 4 years which I believe is the threshold for your parents to be out to the picture. I certainly didn't have to fill in my parent's income after chosing that option.

Something akin to this happened to me as the web form broke and my application somehow had me marked down both as four years out of school yet still dependent on my parents. It took three visits to the financial aid office, but I was able to submit a correction that (hopefully!) will correct the error. It's worth doing as your OSAP estimate affects your eligibility for faculty grants etc.

They said the same thing the first two times I went in. The third time the girl just said "no problem, fill out a cover letter explaining the situation and we'll take care of it." She even had a cover letter form there in the office. If you have actually submitted online already (it sounds like you have), they should be able to access your file within two business days according to what she said. Maybe that's the "processing" that you were told about?

quick question about osap... where exactly is it written that the other assets section of the osap must be the balance on may 10th? what if you had a massive expense right afterwards? seems silly that osap wont let you adjust for that....

in the blurb beneath the "asset information" title. it varies depending on your academic start date so your date may not be may 10, 2010.

• 1 month later...
quick question about osap... where exactly is it written that the other assets section of the osap must be the balance on may 10th? what if you had a massive expense right afterwards? seems silly that osap wont let you adjust for that....

I sent the OSAP people a written update with a legitimate reason for change in assets... and I basically received a "shoo, go away". If anyone has ideas on how I can re-appeal or have my file reassessed please let me know. At present I have a small estimate from them, which seems less than reasonable. And from the letter I received from them it may stay that way!:mad:

I sent the OSAP people a written update with a legitimate reason for change in assets... and I basically received a "shoo, go away". If anyone has ideas on how I can re-appeal or have my file reassessed please let me know. At present I have a small estimate from them, which seems less than reasonable. And from the letter I received from them it may stay that way!:mad:

Your student financial office normally helps with those - the utoronto website recommends that as well - have you contacted them? They would have the most experience with all of this :)

I went and talked to them. I was told to submit it in writing and then I got a letter from them saying nothing can be done about the assets change :confused:. I am going to go bug them tomorrow, but I thought I could ask the smart people on this forum.

Archived