Premed 101 Forums

Lecture recordings to skip classes?

Perhaps its a bit early to ask this, but while interviewing at other schools, many students mentioned that they would often skip class to do shadowing/observerships in lots of different specialties to figure out where their interests are. However, skipping class wasn't a big deal because of lecture voice/video recordings that would always be made available.

Do UofT med students also have this option?

During the tour on campus the guides said that most are available after the lecture but this is not always the case. Some schools such as Wayne State in Detroit stream all lectures live and then have them available after class. I met a student there doing the tours that lived in Canada and said he only had to cross the border once a week most of the time bc he would watch all lectures online at home in Canada.

Yes, almost all of the lectures are recorded (audio + powerpoint) and posted online shortly after class. There are occasional exceptions (patient confidentiality issues, technical difficulties, etc) that prevent recording, but these are rare. It's not uncommon for students to skip class for whatever reason and to use the recordings to catch up.

Yes, almost all of the lectures are recorded (audio + powerpoint) and posted online shortly after class. There are occasional exceptions (patient confidentiality issues, technical difficulties, etc) that prevent recording, but these are rare. It's not uncommon for students to skip class for whatever reason and to use the recordings to catch up.

Dam, this makes me want to go to UT even more.

Yup I also can attest to the benefits of the recorded lectures. I attend about 25-50% of the lectures live mainly for social reasons (eg. see friends and catch up with people between or after class etc.) The rest of the time I am sleeping or doing something else such as observing, research, sleeping, random extracurriculars etc.

I am positive I am going to miss this freedom in a big way come clerkship in a few months...

Archived