Premed 101 Forums

No extracurriculars.

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my first year of university and am now looking for some ECs to do in the summer. i basically have no EC :( I haven't volunteered anywhere or have ever had a job. No clubs, nothing. Although i did pretty good first year 3.98 gpa i am worried i will never get the ECs even to be an average applicant.

I am thinking of applying next summer so i was wondering what are some really solid ECs i could be doing and how many of them does one usually need, knowing that i only have 3 months to do them.

Thanks so much in advance.:)

My ECs before 3rd year pretty much consisted of band and vocal activities I had been involved in during high school. The quality seems to matter as much or even more than the quantity and duration. Despite the substantial gap in my EC partipation, I had a really solid period working in a hospital where I took on increasing amounts of responsibility and was involved in a bunch of different programs (palliative, geriatric, etc) that demonstrated some level of emotional maturity and professionalism. And I got a killer reference letter from them!

You aren't too late to start, but I don't think you should be planning to only do ECs during the summer. A 3.98 GPA is great - excessively great, and maybe not worth the amount of time you're putting in if you could pull off a solid 3.85-3.9 while participating in other activities as well. The point of ECs is not just to show interest and community involvement, it's also to demonstrate that you can handle competing demands on your time and manage them to be successful in every area. A background like that will serve you far better than a perfect GPA at many schools.

You may be surprised at how much more you can fit into your schedule and still do well, anyways. I had a 3.96 and 3.98 in my last two years while working two volunteer jobs....it's possible!

You better do EC's this summer and during the year to get references to write you strong LOR's

Volunteer, get a job, do research, do something meaningful to you, and make sure it can produce a strong LOR at the end of it (i.e. build strong relationships with the EC's you are in)

I recommend you join your local Canadian Forces reserve unit. You essentially get paid to exercise and learn cool stuff that you'd learn nowhere else. It builds character, helps keep you healthy, and would look pretty good to an adcom. The application process can be up to a year (mine was 51 weeks), but once you're in it's 4-12 hours weekly. Girls join too, there's about 5% women in the infantry unit I'm with. Joining as a medic or something could be a good thing too.

Also, you could try volunteering at your local Crisis Intervention/Suicide hotline. The training is usually pretty intense (20 hours/week for 2-3 weeks), but after that it would range from 4-12 hours per week. I'm starting this next month.

You could also phone up your local food bank. I sorted donations for a while (4 hours/week) and it was pretty simple work, very flexible and easy to get into.

I think most people here would agree that getting some solid ECs would be worth a slight drop in GPA. At UBC for example, academic qualifications are only worth 50% of your pre-interview application, and 25% total. Be aware of the academic/EC weighting of whichever schools you plan to apply to.

It's definitely not too late! 3.98 is awesome, so start with the ECs now, keep up the good grades, and you should be set. Get a summer job and find some cool volunteer opportunities. Maybe pick up a sport? You definitely want to show long term commitment, but you can mix in some shorter-term things too (like add extra things during the summer, but continue some during the school year).

I would recommend that you get involved in research. Summer is usually the time when most students get involved in full time research in their respective faculties. You mainly do literature reviews, but if you manage to score a research position for some applied work, you scored the jackpot. Its paid and you get a LOR.

In terms of short term summer EC, I could suggest volunteering in something unique, but also something you believe in. I'm teaching immigrants english during the summer.

However, simply volunteering and sports and whatnot is not good enough. You really need to undertake something you enjoy, otherwise, whats the point of spending 4 hours a week playing hockey if your going to hate it. If your passionate about what you do, not only will you exceed at it, but it will pay off.

Lastly, I recommend you get involved year round. I'm an Executive in my Program's Student Society, so I get part credit for hundreds of things such as organizing and hosting events such as debates, charitable fundraisers and so on. Its only a few hours of work per week.

If you got balls of steel, you can run for Student Council and if you dont win, you can also join your Student Council as a non-elected member, usually youll be appointed as a representive to the various school committees such as safety, health, cafeteria, academics, etc.

Again, all these activities dont take much of your time, just take the right burden and youll be alright. One of the reasons I never aim for the top eg. president of council or something is because being vice-president is just as good. You get the fame for half the work.

Also, getting a job is the worst thing you can do during the school year. It does more harm than good. I only work half the year here and there because its more demanding that simply volunteering.

Since you've never work, it shows that you dont really need the money, so I recommend you put your effort in ECs.

Also, getting a job is the worst thing you can do during the school year. It does more harm than good. I only work half the year here and there because its more demanding that simply volunteering..

Having a job was one of the best things about my undergrad.

Met lots of new friends, really forced me to time manage, and I was never "poor" during undergrad.

You need to do something you'll enjoy... that way, when interview time comes, you can talk about it with a passion and not sound like a robot listing things you've done...

I joined almost every club first week of undergrad, and I stuck to the ones I really enjoyed. I found getting involved in clubs and charity work on campus was easy because I could make time for it in between classes.

As for work, I suggest getting a job nights + weekends, when you don't have class. I worked minimally during undergrad - I did retail for a couple of years and then did research years 2-4. I highly recommend doing research - you'll learn tons, gain experience, have something to talk about, etc.

Also, just ask around - see what others are doing, and see if there's anything that sparks your interest. Again, I stress that you enjoy your ECs - school is stressful enough, so make volunteering/clubs/etc. fun!

Good luck!

Having a job was one of the best things about my undergrad.

Met lots of new friends, really forced me to time manage, and I was never "poor" during undergrad.

Its true but, its its the forced to manage time part I never liked about working during the school year. During my CEGEP years, it hurt me in the beginning and while my grades didnt suffer dramatically, there are time I regret not having quit earlier.

Its pretty much opportunity cost, you work and are below your grade potential or you dont work and attain your grade potential.

Eitherway, I personally find it unnecessary that working is a must "do or die". I've worked my way around it by working a few hours here and there in University by signing up as a peer tutor and doing research.

It still counts as experience and pays fairly well, and doesnt require a 20 hour a week commitment.

Echoing the Canadian Forces Reserves. If you like camping and want to challenge yourself, it's a ton of fun, good money ($2k per year of school plus wages for work plus the potential to win money for writing military-related essays), and you will do stuff you'd never have done otherwise. Spend a couple weeks in the arctic? Go to France to be part of the Vimy Ridge Memorial Service? Hang out in the bush with mostly cool people and play soldier? Best job in the world for a student to have. Plus it's super-flexible.

Echoing the Canadian Forces Reserves. If you like camping and want to challenge yourself, it's a ton of fun, good money ($2k per year of school plus wages for work plus the potential to win money for writing military-related essays), and you will do stuff you'd never have done otherwise. Spend a couple weeks in the arctic? Go to France to be part of the Vimy Ridge Memorial Service? Hang out in the bush with mostly cool people and play soldier? Best job in the world for a student to have. Plus it's super-flexible.

It's not that flexible.. You end up signing over your entire summer, every other weekend and every wednesday!! Maybe its different where your from or maybe Im just misinformed.

Hey good job on your GPA first of all!

You can do a lot of things in 3 months

Heres what I think might help your application (not necessarily what you like)

1) Hospital (most premeds have this standard one although I never did)

2) research a couple of times a week

3) Join different little things that you like to do like sports, and other special events

The Canadian Forces reserves are wonderful, but I have to agree, not that flexible - you do have to commit to the time that your reserve unit requires (summers for training, one weekday evening, one weekend a month): http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/contact/faq-eng.asp?CATE=8#2

Q: As an Army Reservist, how long do I have to stay in? How often do I have to work?

A: There is no minimum time commitment as a Reservist; you can choose to leave at any time.

Typically you would work one weekday evening for three hours and one weekend a month. Once trained, you will have opportunities to work full time in the summer.

Other employment opportunities, domestically and overseas, also become available as you advance with experience and rank.

More info here: http://www.forces.ca/html/reserveforce_en.aspx

Primary reservists usually train on evenings and weekends. However, most of them need two weeks of full-time service every year to keep their qualifications current. From time to time, they also need to attend courses to progress in rank, or to prepare for operational missions.

In the medical services (doctors, nurses, med techs, pharmacists, etc.) there are actually a large number of women. Most of the women serving in the CF are in the medical services, although there are still plenty in the combat arms. Joining the reserves as a med tech (medic) would give tons of great experience towards med school: http://www.forces.ca/html/medicaltechnician_res_en.aspx

It's not that flexible.. You end up signing over your entire summer, every other weekend and every wednesday!! Maybe its different where your from or maybe Im just misinformed.

You're misinformed. You are obligated to do exactly one evening (3 hours) of training a month. Beyond your basic training, you have no obligations to surrendering your summer, but even basic can probably be deferred until you have time. Just bear in mind that being untrained will limit you a lot in what you can and can't do. They don't send untrained recruits or untrained soldiers on real taskings. Until you've completed your basic in its entirety, you're not much good to anyone.

You may pick and choose what you do, how often, and in what fashion. This applies to weekend courses. And the rules are certainly not specific to regiment, either, so if you have a buddy in your local regiment saying you HAVE to do this stuff, he's spinning you a yarn. And if you need to take a few months of leave, you can get ED&T (exempt from drill and training) if you have good reason, or you could I guess just transfer to supplemental reserve until you're ready to work again.

But I should stress that you will not be viewed kindly by your regiment if you hardly show up and don't do any of the training on the weekends. Hopefully you, whoever is reading this and considering the reserves, are the sort of person who has a good work ethic and doesn't shirk his or her responsibilities, because the last thing anyone needs is a truant soldier. I'm only selling the flexibility of it because I know how much people who've never had a job cringe at the thought of having obligations.

I should also point out that I've been in the reserves for 4 years now, so don't be quoting me any websites when we struggle to get people to show up for training and resort to trying to guilt people because we can't force anyone. Plus, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't taken advantage of said flexibility from time to time. They literally ask you if you can come on weekend exercises, and will merely offer positions during the summer and otherwise. Nobody will come up to you, at any time past your basic, and say "You are going to X to do Y on this date." It is totally up to you to put your hand up and volunteer for summer training. As mentioned though, there is pressure to be involved. A warrant officer from our regiment who was recently killed in Afghanistan would sometimes, for example, basically say "So-and-so, X course begins on Y date, you're going right?" while you're all gathered around for the nightly brief. You've gotta be a big boy from time to time and learn to say no if that's what you want, but generally speaking they will merely announce dates and how many positions are open, and people put their hands up. Even if you do sign up for a course, too, you can withdraw if you feel it's no longer workable, although if you sign up for actual jobs someplace... that's different.

And yeah, I know it sounds weird and I could hardly believe it myself. When I enlisted my parents though I was an idiot because I'd be shipped off wherever the CF wanted to send me, but the reality is completely different. In war time of course you would be sent off, but when do you think the next time Canada will declare war on another country is?

Tango Charlie says: "Join the Reserves, climb mountains on Baffin Island, pose without your hat for promotional photos."

You may pick and choose what you do, how often, and in what fashion. This applies to weekend courses. And the rules are certainly not specific to regiment, either, so if you have a buddy in your local regiment saying you HAVE to do this stuff, he's spinning you a yarn. And if you need to take a few months of leave, you can get ED&T (exempt from drill and training) if you have good reason, or you could I guess just transfer to supplemental reserve until you're ready to work again.

Well, then your reserve unit is VERY different from the engineering reserve regiment my husband served in. He's now Reg Force, but he has buddies are still in the reserves and he still has ties to his old reserve unit. My husband served in the reserves for all four years of his undergrad degree before going Reg Force when he graduated.

With his reserve unit, people who didn't show up regularly for training (the one evening and one weekend per month) were NOT allowed to stay in the unit. It was (and IS) expected that you showed up for the training (unless you had a very good reason not to), and you were expected to do your training in the summer until you had completed your basic training and your trades training. After that was completed, yes, it was up to you whether you wanted to do more training in the summer or not, but anyone who wanted to stay in the unit HAD to do their basic training and their trade training. If they didn't, they were out.

This was an engineering unit, not an infantry unit, but wow, I'm really shocked at how your unit does things. It is VERY different from the regiment my husband served in and the medical unit I was looking at joining myself.

So I'm not just quoting web sites or talking about something I don't understand. I'm an army wife, and my husband did 4 years in the reserves before going reg force, and I have first hand knowledge of how his reserve unit did things, and continues to do them. I even looked into joining the reserves myself as mentioned above, but unfortunately, due to a (completely healed) fractured L2 vertebra in my back (that causes me absolutely no problems), they wouldn't take me. So believe me, I thoroughly investigated my options, talking to my husband, his friends, his reserve unit, and the medical unit I was interested in joining. Clearly your reserve unit does things differently, but it's very different from the way the reserve units I've been exposed to do things.

So I'm not misinformed. My reserve unit exposure is just very different from yours.

I stated explicitly that the only thing you probably don't have any leeway with is your basic training, that your are obligated to do that stuff when you enlist. They will assign you courses, and you go on them ASAP, which will mean you lose two months of one summer, maybe 3 if you don't do your BMQ on weekends. I never deferred my courses, although I said I wouldn't be surprised if you could. It was the third sentence of my post.

If you don't show up for your once-a-month training you will be put on NES, which is a "bad thing". If you do, you won't. You have to be inactive for a month or more to be considered Non-Effective Strength. Until then there is nothing wrong with only doing something once a month, although you may run into problems if you don't do your annual trade stuff as you need to do your annual stuff for the regiment to get money for having you around.

I recommend you join your local Canadian Forces reserve unit. You essentially get paid to exercise and learn cool stuff that you'd learn nowhere else. It builds character, helps keep you healthy, and would look pretty good to an adcom. The application process can be up to a year (mine was 51 weeks), but once you're in it's 4-12 hours weekly. Girls join too, there's about 5% women in the infantry unit I'm with. Joining as a medic or something could be a good thing too.

why did it take so long? my friend signed up and i think it took him 2-3 months total.

If you were to enlist just before the summer they may not get all the paperwork done in time to get you in. But yeah, usually it's a relatively fast process where, once you do all the paperwork, you need only wait a couple weeks for the regiment you're applying to to get back to you. I guess it's possible that they didn't want any new recruits for a while, too, though in my experience regiments are usually keen to get new bodies.

I put in my application in April 2009, did various tests, an interview and a couple other things, usually with about 6 weeks in between each. I initially applied as infantry, but found out my eyesight is V4 (bad), and I'm not eligible for laser surgery for a few more years. It took a while to get a straight answer on what alternate V4 trade would still allow me to enter the Westminster Regiment (Infantry). I was also told a few times that the CFRC was busy with other things and my application was a low priority for a while. I would ventute a guess that the olympics had something to do with it. I think I just got unlucky. Most applications seem to take less than 6 months.

I've ended up entering as a supply tech, but will be with the rest of the infantry until I complete BMQ, SQ1, SQ2, and my trade course. I was enrolled in April (out of nowhere, hadn't heard anything in months), but already had things sorted out to start SFU in May (courses picked, tuition paid), so I was told I could do weekend BMQ in September.

There was only me and 2 other people not doing courses this summer, and I was asked about it several times. I explained myself and my intent to do weekend BMQ in September and I never got too much trouble. They told me that they 'do what they can' to remove people who don't participate. I don't how much they can do, but it isn't my intent to find out anyway.

So far I've got the impression that it's flexible as long as you have valid reasoning for needing the flexibility, and do intend to get involved when you can. It should be a given that you shouldn't join with the intent of slacking off.

The bottom line is that beyond your basic training you're mandated to one night a month. That is the bare minimum. The maximum is one night a week, maybe some stuff during a couple weekdays around your armory, and probably an exercise every other weekend, and courses or otherwise employment all during the summer (although there are limits to how much you can work as Class A, though there are Class B taskings that can last for quite a while). There will also be exercises that'll last a week or so which will come up during the school year. Once again, totally optional.

So it's literally as flexible as one night a month, or quite busy. But just so I don't get any more posts about it, you have to do your basic training at some point. Although even that can be delayed a bit if you're not up to it.

Archived