Premed 101 Forums

Hi

I've had my pc for a couple of years now, and I'm wondering if I should get a mac? I don't really want to dish out money on a mac, but I'm wondering if it is worth it to switch (I heard macs are more reliable?). How much work do you actually do on the computer? I know notes are online, but is it rare for ppl to print them out? Anyways, I'm just wondering if it is worth it to invest in a mac from now depending on how much I'll be using it, or if it;s any different than a pc.

Thanks!

I think I'm probably going to go with this one.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=49925&vpn=UL30VT-A1&manufacture=ASUS

I was researching a few months back and it seemed to have it all. 13.3" screen is probably about right and its very slim otherwise. It has a low voltage CPU and a switchable graphics card to give you really long battery life. 12hrs is over-rated, but it will probably last the day on the right settings.

The other specs are good and it's well acclaimed.

-Tyler

For the love of pie, go with a Mac.

I had a Mac for Med1 ... it was wonderful ... then my -sister- needed it for -graphics- and I got a PC because it was cheaper.

>__O I've had the PC for a year (about $600), and I can't take it to school because it over heats and the fans get loud and goes WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when I'm doing word processing, the keyboard has gone to **** twice (and now seems to be back to normal), the CD thingy has been replaced once, the battery life is 4hrs (which isn't too bad, I guess)...

... yes, get a Mac. Besides, it's funny when the lecturer says, "I feel like I'm standing in an apple orchard!"

I think I'm probably going to go with this one.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=49925&vpn=UL30VT-A1&manufacture=ASUS

I was researching a few months back and it seemed to have it all. 13.3" screen is probably about right and its very slim otherwise. It has a low voltage CPU and a switchable graphics card to give you really long battery life. 12hrs is over-rated, but it will probably last the day on the right settings.

The other specs are good and it's well acclaimed.

-Tyler

Might want to do it soon 'cause hst is hitting bc...or has it already

My two cents, you can't generalize all PCs and say just 'cause a cheap laptop you got sucked means they all suck. You have to look at reviews and see what brands are better for the price you pay. Macs and PCs are pretty much using the same kind of hardware now so you have to look at your brand's quality control. I paid about the same amount for my laptop as a Macbook Pro might cost and I'd say I got a much better deal from a reputable company.

Thanks for all the posts guys, I'll definitely be looking more into it. p.s. I'm trying my best not to join facebook :)

Hate to break it to you, but you're about to enter a world where Facebook is almost a necessity. So much med school stuff happens on Facebook. And how else but with Facebook chat do you plan to stay awake during painfully boring med1 lectures? lol

For the love of pie, go with a Mac.

I had a Mac for Med1 ... it was wonderful ... then my -sister- needed it for -graphics- and I got a PC because it was cheaper.

>__O I've had the PC for a year (about $600), and I can't take it to school because it over heats and the fans get loud and goes WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when I'm doing word processing, the keyboard has gone to **** twice (and now seems to be back to normal), the CD thingy has been replaced once, the battery life is 4hrs (which isn't too bad, I guess)...

... yes, get a Mac. Besides, it's funny when the lecturer says, "I feel like I'm standing in an apple orchard!"

Have you considered comparing two similarly priced products?

Archived