Premed 101 Forums

Making up facts for WS

deadmonton

For the WS section, I sometimes make up facts. I'm not talking about hypothetical situations. Sometimes its about a small event in say edmonton, i'll just fill in details that i dont actually know. Those shouldnt be a problem rit?

I just wrote one though, and sort of made stuff up about Gandhi... If its not exactly the truth, will that be really bad? The specific example -- prompt was about needing to compromise, in my antithesis I said Gandhi never compromised (I have no idea if he did or not)

Thoughts?

I didn't use specific examples at all in my WS responses. One of my prompts was something about the balance between law and freedom in society, and I said something like "For example, a town that lacked laws..." All the MCAT prep books go on and on about keeping up on the news and having specific examples prepared, but I didn't find it necessary. I got an R.

If you do make something up, choose a topic that the markers will be unaware of, or of a topic that isn't common knowledge. I think making something up about Gandhi was probably not the best choice. And obviously, don't say things that are outlandish and/or unbelievable. As long as you keep things believable and about a not so well known topic you should be fine.

Archived