Premed 101 Forums

How do MCAT scores correlate to course scores?

As the MCAT is pretty much based on first year courses, how do first year courses marks correlate to MCAT scores? I'm curious! So for instance, if one aced first year chem/physics/orgo/bio did they ace the MCAT? I'm writing this August and although I know there is more to doing well on the MCAT then having good marks in the first year subjects, I'm curious to see if it really does correlate.

My MCAT instructor last year told me there was really no advantage to having taken/aced the courses. Although you will be more familiar with the material, it may be more difficult to get into the mindspace for a completely different type of problem solving. That wasn't always the case - one girl I studied with aced the courses in first year and effortlessly scored 14s and 15s on physical and bio - but some people with solid science backgrounds struggled.

If you are a natural creative thinker and problem solver, AND you aced the courses, then prepare to breeze through that section of the MCAT :) otherwise, you've still got a lot of work ahead!

(check the AAMC website, too, they might talk about this!)

I'd say a somewhat weak correlation.

The passages, questions and timing of the MCAT don't really reflect the sort of exams you'd write in University. If you've taken the courses and aced them you'll certainly have practiced formulas and memorized/understood systems or reactions more thoroughly, which would help, but it wouldn't necessarily translate into a high score. Applying those concepts to a passage and then answering them quickly sans calculator takes some practice and skill that, in my experience, you don't use a whole lot in first or second year.

Archived