Premed 101 Forums

4th year courses at UWO

Hey guys,

It's about that time where I should be considering my course choices. I was hoping that some of you could help me out by posting your experiences with some of these courses.

PHYSIOL 4520B - STEM CELL BIO & REGENERATV MED - has anyone taken this course? I haven't heard much about it but it sounds kind of cool.

The format is 60% short and essay answer final, 20% on two in class quizzes (10 each), and 20% on paper critiques

PHYSIOL 4620A - REPRODUCTIVE & ENDOCRINE PHYS - I've heard mixed opinions regarding this course so I'm not sure.

Don't know the format for this one

PHYSIOL 4640A - ORGANOGENESIS IN MAMMALS

PHYSIOL 4660B - BODY WATER AND RENAL - Can't find anything on google for this one

MICROIMM 4200B - MOLECULAR VIROLOGY - I'm not sure if I could even take this course because I don't have one of the prereqs. I'm sure if I fight hard enough I could take it. As with the last one, can't find anything on it but I heard it was easy.

PHYSIOL 4710A - PHYSIOLOGY OF THE SENSES - This can be taken online or in class. It's all multiple choice (I like that because I've only just mastered multiple choice tests!)

PHARM 4660A - HUMAN TOXICOLOGY - I didn't like pharm at uwo except for the online 2060. I'm scared to take this one and have another bad experience. Pharm 3560 was my worst mark last year and I don't want to risk that again especially since my first two years are pretty awful.

Medical Sciences 4100F/G - Introduction to Comparative Medical Sciences - anyone taken this? I think it's quite new but I may be wrong. I read the course syllabus and it sounds kind of cool. I'm a bit nervous about the essay component of the course though.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post it. I'm obviously looking for the easiest courses that are interesting. I know this sounds lame but I'm in 4th year now, I'll be applying to medical schools this september. I'd rather have more time to prep for interviews (lets hope)

Also, I need some REALLY easy electives to fill up any empty spaces. According to the UWO 60% rule, I can only look at a certain number of courses not in 4th year. I'm taking 3rd year anatomy so I have 1.0 more 3rd year courses if I want.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.

Ohh yah... What are your opinions on taking science courses with essay components in 4th year? Would you say it's harder to get a good mark on essay assignments than an exam? I had a friend in biochem who couldn't bring his mark above 80 because his TA killed him on his assignments

I just finished my 4th yr at UWO so I can give you my opinion on a few of those classes.

Physiol 4620A - First of all the marking scheme last yr was 5% quizzes which were based on assigned reading, 35% midterm (short answer and long answer), 15% written paper critique and 45% final (again short answer and long answer)

An important thing to note about this class is that it is truly a reproductive endocrinology course, i.e. you discuss the hypothalamus extensively but only in it's relation to the HPG axis. The class was quite interesting, however I wasn't a huge fan of how the grading was done, seemed far too subjective IMO.

Phys 4710A - I really disliked this class, the fact that the entire course is MC is nice but the material is quite dry and seemed to merely re-state what was taught in Phys 312. I would recommend taking the class online if you can (not too sure if it was available online last yr), as I didn't find the lectures to be particularly helpful in learning the material (although the animations are pretty good)

Finally, if you're at all interested in neuro I would take Phys 4630B, I really enjoyed the class and it was pretty easy.

Hope that helps,

RS

I just finished my 4th yr at UWO so I can give you my opinion on a few of those classes.

Physiol 4620A - First of all the marking scheme last yr was 5% quizzes which were based on assigned reading, 35% midterm (short answer and long answer), 15% written paper critique and 45% final (again short answer and long answer)

An important thing to note about this class is that it is truly a reproductive endocrinology course, i.e. you discuss the hypothalamus extensively but only in it's relation to the HPG axis. The class was quite interesting, however I wasn't a huge fan of how the grading was done, seemed far too subjective IMO.

Phys 4710A - I really disliked this class, the fact that the entire course is MC is nice but the material is quite dry and seemed to merely re-state what was taught in Phys 312. I would recommend taking the class online if you can (not too sure if it was available online last yr), as I didn't find the lectures to be particularly helpful in learning the material (although the animations are pretty good)

Finally, if you're at all interested in neuro I would take Phys 4630B, I really enjoyed the class and it was pretty easy.

Hope that helps,

RS

Thanks man, appreciate the help. I didn't like neuro in 3120 so I didn't want to take neuro phys but maybe I should look into it.

• 2 months later...

Archived