Premed 101 Forums

Where are you living?

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to look for somewhere to live next year. I've decided that for the most part, I'd like to live in a one-bedroom or bachelor apartment for first year, and then hopefully meet some people, and move into a house second year.

Have you guys already found places? If so, where abouts?

Also, have you guys heard of the Kingsview apartments? They seem affordable and pretty close to RGN. In terms of the Lees apartments, I haven't heard the best things about 170 (the most affordable one), and the other ones are upwards of $900 for a single.

Would love input from current and new students :)

Thanks!

I am still searching for a bachelor/one bedroom apt near the hospital, I need my space.

But I really need it to include parking so I never have to take public transit again :o

I plan on calling some places in the next couple of weeks, visit in July and hopefully secure a lease by the middle of July

Guest viscous
I am still searching for a bachelor/one bedroom apt near the hospital, I need my space.

But I really need it to include parking so I never have to take public transit again :o

I plan on calling some places in the next couple of weeks, visit in July and hopefully secure a lease by the middle of July

you mean you will be renting?

I'm living with my sister and boyfriend (yes, an interesting arrangement haha), so we're looking for either a 2 or 3 bedroom in Sandy Hill or Lowertown. Hopefully with a parking spot, but it's kind of hit or miss. City parking is generally fine anyway.

If anyone is looking for a one bedroom downtown (121 Daly Ave), our lease ends August 31st but we're likely going to be moving out mid-August, so you would be free to move in around then. It's a one bedroom on the 3rd story of a 3 story walk-up, $875 all inclusive. No parking, but parking from the city for $80/month. It's not student housing, so it's quiet, and we're on the top floor so there's no one walking around above you. Fridge and oven. No balcony, but access to a fire escape where you can sit or whatever. Big clothes closet in the bedroom, tons of storage. Hardwood floors. A/C in the bedroom and ceiling fan in the living room. Clawfoot tub/shower in the bathroom. 3 blocks from main campus, Metro, Loblaws, LCBO, Beer Store, public library, etc. If you're moving from another city, we'd be up for selling our bedframe (IKEA) since it'll be a pain to move out of the apartment, honestly.

Okay, so I didn't mean for this to turn into an apartment ad! hahha. Anyway, it wouldn't be a lease take over, but we could put you in contact with our landlord who would likely be more than happy to rent to a med student, and to not have to look for another renter.

If you want more info or pictures, PM me!

Also, have you guys heard of the Kingsview apartments? They seem affordable and pretty close to RGN.

Thanks!

Hey med88,

I currently live in a bachelor in the Kingsview. They are clean and have recently had several things renovated (balcony, elevators, hall carpets). Management takes good care of things generally. I would recommend these apartments and I plan to stay here for first year :)

I went with a 3 bedroom house on a little road off of Smyth.... about a 10-15 minute walk to the hospital....

Nice little house, nice neighbourhood, a park nearby.... my girlfriend and I have 2 cars between us and a dog.... so things like a lawn and a driveway were big draws where they may not have been for most students.

Guest viscous
Hey med88,

I currently live in a bachelor in the Kingsview. They are clean and have recently had several things renovated (balcony, elevators, hall carpets). Management takes good care of things generally. I would recommend these apartments and I plan to stay here for first year :)

how much rent are you paying for it?

Thanks in advance.

hey guys,

how far of a walk is the kingsview apartments from the hospitals? also, what are the pros and cons of living closer to the hospital campus rather than the main campus? I've heard there's a shuttle between both, does anyone know if this is true?

I'm trying to make a decision where I should look for a 1bedroom apartment next year.

hey guys,

how far of a walk is the kingsview apartments from the hospitals? also, what are the pros and cons of living closer to the hospital campus rather than the main campus? I've heard there's a shuttle between both, does anyone know if this is true?

I'm trying to make a decision where I should look for a 1bedroom apartment next year.

i don't think you would want to walk from the kingsview to the hospital..esp in winter. but kingsview is right at the smyth station where you can take bus #106 to the steps of RGN in 5-10min. main vs. RGN really depends on your preference ie. whether you want to be close to the study scene at RGN or the party scene dt. also if you don't end up living in a condo with facilities, the gym we have access to is on main campus. there is a shuttle between the two campuses (every 20 minutes i think? it takes pretty much the same route as bus #16)

I am looking for a place to live too. It looks like there are only two apartment units: Kingsview apartment and Riverside Tower near the hospital. Any other suggestion is much appreciated.

http://www.osgoodeproperties.com/en/properties/ottawa.aspx

Based on the price, I think it is best to rent a two bedroom apartment with a roommate. For instance, at Kingsview, Bachelor costs $795/mo, 1 bedroom $925/mo., 2 bedroom $1125/mo., and 3 bedroom $1500/mo. Three people share one apartment is just too crowded, plus $500/mo/person is not much cheaper than two people share a two bedroom apartment. I also looked at the floorplan. For the 2 bedroom, the master bedroom has its one bathroom, so I am thinking the person living in the master bedroom pay $600/mo. and the other person pay $525. Well, all these are just preliminary plans, any suggestion or advice is much appreciated. (To be honest, this is going to be my first time moving away from home and living by myself. I am feeling both excited and a bit scared with all the uncertainty and responsibilities lying ahead:o, but more excited than scared:) . )

I am looking for a place to live too. It looks like there are only two apartment units: Kingsview apartment and Riverside Tower near the hospital. Any other suggestion is much appreciated.

http://www.osgoodeproperties.com/en/properties/ottawa.aspx

Based on the price, I think it is best to rent a two bedroom apartment with a roommate. For instance, at Kingsview, Bachelor costs $795/mo, 1 bedroom $925/mo., 2 bedroom $1125/mo., and 3 bedroom $1500/mo. Three people share one apartment is just too crowded, plus $500/mo/person is not much cheaper than two people share a two bedroom apartment. I also looked at the floorplan. For the 2 bedroom, the master bedroom has its one bathroom, so I am thinking the person living in the master bedroom pay $600/mo. and the other person pay $525. Well, all these are just preliminary plans, any suggestion or advice is much appreciated. (To be honest, this is going to be my first time moving away from home and living by myself. I am feeling both excited and a bit scared with all the uncertainty and responsibilities lying ahead:o, but more excited than scared:) . )

There are other apartments right beside kingsview and riverside towers. There's the two Minto apartments called Castleview and Faircrest, and there's Rideau Park Towers. There's also a condo I forget the name of. Another option is on the other end of Smyth road at Elmvale Acres where you'll find the Union Square apartments (rent is about the same as the Riverview park location but you're right beside a small shopping plaza with loblaws, pharmaplus, rbc, LCBO!) - yea, i went out there couple days ago to check it out myself =)

Guest viscous
There are other apartments right beside kingsview and riverside towers. There's the two Minto apartments called Castleview and Faircrest, and there's Rideau Park Towers. There's also a condo I forget the name of. Another option is on the other end of Smyth road at Elmvale Acres where you'll find the Union Square apartments (rent is about the same as the Riverview park location but you're right beside a small shopping plaza with loblaws, pharmaplus, rbc, LCBO!) - yea, i went out there couple days ago to check it out myself =)

thanks for that info

thanks for all the information...im thinking about going up to ottawa sometime in the next couple weeks to get a feel for what is available. From what I could gather from some of the apartments/condos I have called, a lot of them don't know what sort of availability they will have until the beginning of July.

Next year I won't have a car, so does anyone know if there is public transportation passes included in our tuition fees?

Guest viscous
thanks for all the information...im thinking about going up to ottawa sometime in the next couple weeks to get a feel for what is available. From what I could gather from some of the apartments/condos I have called, a lot of them don't know what sort of availability they will have until the beginning of July.

Next year I won't have a car, so does anyone know if there is public transportation passes included in our tuition fees?

a med student told me that starting this year we will get OC transpo pass cuz tuition fees will include that.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Another quick question about a complex: has anyone heard of the Minto Faircrest apartments? It seems affordable and really close to campus, so I'm looking at a place there. Before getting into anything, I wanted to make sure it's a clean, decent and well-maintained pest-free place.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Another quick question about a complex: has anyone heard of the Minto Faircrest apartments? It seems affordable and really close to campus, so I'm looking at a place there. Before getting into anything, I wanted to make sure it's a clean, decent and well-maintained pest-free place.

A previous poster said it was really nice about 3yrs ago, back when I was looking for a place. He seemed to have reasonably high standards. I haven't actually been in there or heard about it since then though.

I lived at 1755 Riverside (Castleview) for 1st year and it was good. The building next to it is Kingsview and let me tell you there is nothing kingly about it at all. It is a hole to be perfectly honest. My friend lived there for all 4 years of med school though. Noise was a constant problem. His truck got broken into twice in the underground parking. The building looks shady from the outside.

Frobisher place is the twin building of the Castleview but it's all condos so that is out unless you are buying, which if you are I'd highly avoid buying anywhere on Riverside. The building next to it (can't remember the name) is also a dive. The Faircrest is the huge building at the end of Riverside and it is comparable to the buildings at the other end of Riverside (1725 etc).

Alta Vista towers is pure ghetto, so if you like that scene go ahead and move there. Any place around Elmvale (Smyth road and St. Laurent) is also full of sketch bags.

If you want to live on Riverside I'd recommend living in the 3 or 4 buildings at the opposite end of Riverside (1725 area). Otherwise, live in Pixley. It is a good area full of med students and is quite a safe area plus it's close to the med school. Avoid Alta Vista towers or any place around Elmvale. If you like a more vibrant scene then live downtown around Elgin and Somerset. Lots of places around there that are relatively priced. Avoid Sandy Hill which is a student ghetto full of undergrads and other questionable characters.

I lived at 1755 Riverside (Castleview) for 1st year and it was good. The building next to it is Kingsview and let me tell you there is nothing kingly about it at all. It is a hole to be perfectly honest. My friend lived there for all 4 years of med school though. Noise was a constant problem. His truck got broken into twice in the underground parking. The building looks shady from the outside.

Just another perspective: I've lived in 1725 Riverside (Kingsview) the past three years and it has been fine for me. Relatively quiet, well maintained, and no pests. Very convenient with it being right on a major transitway. Groceries and LCBO are 2 bus stops down (Billingsbridge shopping mall) I'm staying in my apartment there for at least another year.

I wouldn't go around Elmvale; sketchy area.

Guest viscous

Frobisher place is the twin building of the Castleview but it's all condos so that is out unless you are buying, which if you are I'd highly avoid buying anywhere on Riverside. The building next to it (can't remember the name) is also a dive. The Faircrest is the huge building at the end of Riverside and it is comparable to the buildings at the other end of Riverside (1725 etc).

Alta Vista towers is pure ghetto, so if you like that scene go ahead and move there. Any place around Elmvale (Smyth road and St. Laurent) is also full of sketch bags.

If you want to live on Riverside I'd recommend living in the 3 or 4 buildings at the opposite end of Riverside (1725 area). Otherwise, live in Pixley. It is a good area full of med students and is quite a safe area plus it's close to the med school. Avoid Alta Vista towers or any place around Elmvale. If you like a more vibrant scene then live downtown around Elgin and Somerset. Lots of places around there that are relatively priced. Avoid Sandy Hill which is a student ghetto full of undergrads and other questionable characters.

Isnt Pixley Private town house stuff?

Just another perspective: I've lived in 1725 Riverside (Kingsview) the past three years and it has been fine for me. Relatively quiet, well maintained, and no pests. Very convenient with it being right on a major transitway. Groceries and LCBO are 2 bus stops down (Billingsbridge shopping mall) I'm staying in my apartment there for at least another year.

I wouldn't go around Elmvale; sketchy area.

Just curous, why is Elmvale sketchy?

Isn't that where the grocery stores are?

There are quite a few places in Pixley that are owned by med students in various years and they are always looking for roommates. You should receive a housing list with your orientation package and you will see what I mean. As well, there are people who rent out houses to med students in that area, though I am not sure about current vacancies. I would say about 20-25 people in my class lived in the Pixley area at some point throughout the 4 years.

There is a small crappy grocery store at Elmvale. Most people on Riverside will go to Billings bridge for groceries or if they want more selection and a few more stores like futureshop, walmart etc they will go to South Keys (5 stops or so past Billings bridge). The apartment buildings around Elmvale just aren't very nice and there is a relatively large amount of not-so-well-to-do people in that area (subsidized housing etc). Just go there and you will see.

Again though I had 3-4 friends who lived there for most of medical school without any major problems. I don't know of any females that have lived there though. In most cases you will get what you pay for, so although the cheap rent might look good around Lees (not all the buildings, 170 is the worst), Elmvale, Altavista towers, there is a reason why it is that way. If you are thinking about any of those areas I would suggest living anywhere on Riverside first (even Kingsview).

There are quite a few places in Pixley that are owned by med students in various years and they are always looking for roommates. You should receive a housing list with your orientation package and you will see what I mean. As well, there are people who rent out houses to med students in that area, though I am not sure about current vacancies. I would say about 20-25 people in my class lived in the Pixley area at some point throughout the 4 years.

There is a small crappy grocery store at Elmvale. Most people on Riverside will go to Billings bridge for groceries or if they want more selection and a few more stores like futureshop, walmart etc they will go to South Keys (5 stops or so past Billings bridge). The apartment buildings around Elmvale just aren't very nice and there is a relatively large amount of not-so-well-to-do people in that area (subsidized housing etc). Just go there and you will see.

Again though I had 3-4 friends who lived there for most of medical school without any major problems. I don't know of any females that have lived there though. In most cases you will get what you pay for, so although the cheap rent might look good around Lees (not all the buildings, 170 is the worst), Elmvale, Altavista towers, there is a reason why it is that way. If you are thinking about any of those areas I would suggest living anywhere on Riverside first (even Kingsview).

So are you saying the apartments on Lees are not a great place to live? Or are there any apartments on Lees that you would recommend?

I have a friend who lives in the apartments around Lees and she really likes them. I think the two buildings that she recommended are the Citadel apartments and the Bona Vista Apartments.

Here is their website: http://bonaproperties.com/buildings/citadel.php

Apparently there is also a shuttle that runs from these properties to the RGN which would make transportation convenient.

Archived