Premed 101 Forums

Academy

I like to start a topic and hope someone comes up with a smarter question than I. :P

Lol. In all seriousness though, are there any differences between the academies for pre-clerkship? I'm attracted to PB for the fact that they put emphasis on small groups but does being in WB "give you access" to more hospitals?

Lol. In all seriousness though, are there any differences between the academies for pre-clerkship? I'm attracted to PB for the fact that they put emphasis on small groups but does being in WB "give you access" to more hospitals?

The biggest difference between the academies for pre-clerkship (and arguably clerkship) is location. The academies have equal amounts of small group sessions (e.g., PBL, ASCM, DOCH). WB is affiliated with more hospitals, but regardless of which academy you're in, you can shadow at any of the teaching hospitals; it's not like being at WB gives you more 'access' to the hospitals.

The biggest difference between the academies for pre-clerkship (and arguably clerkship) is location. The academies have equal amounts of small group sessions (e.g., PBL, ASCM, DOCH). WB is affiliated with more hospitals, but regardless of which academy you're in, you can shadow at any of the teaching hospitals; it's not like being at WB gives you more 'access' to the hospitals.

I read U of T's info about the academies and my understanding is that WB and Fitz seem to be closest to campus but do students regularly go to Mississauga as well?

The site mentioned this for WB: "while we await the official opening of the fourth Academy in Mississauga in 2011, 24 students in the first and second year clinical skills course called Art and Science of Clinical Medicine will have the opportunity to attend sessions at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga"... so does this mean that 24 students will ALWAYS go to Mississauga throughout the year or do you take turns?

I'm hoping to find a place close to campus and spend most of my time downtown so would WB or Fitz be my safest bet? Any key differences in what you'll actually experience as a med student between the two?

Thanks!

WB, always WB if you want to stay downtown. If you choose Fitz and PB there's a chance of you being in sauga or north york region

Really? I thought with WB there's still a chance of ending up in Mississauga for ASCM. Fitz is just as good a choice as WB if you want to stay downtown.

Really? I thought with WB there's still a chance of ending up in Mississauga for ASCM. Fitz is just as good a choice as WB if you want to stay downtown.

You're right. My bad. I was looking at the Academy Map and it showed the Mississauga academy too. So basically there's really not that much of a point for us to actually choose an academy?

Archived