Premed 101 Forums

Employment History

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st time applying to med school... I have a question about the employment section of the application, which also applies to volunteering section I guess...

What if you don't remember the employer info for a job or volunteer job and they are in a different city, which makes it so much harder to find the info out, or if they are out of business? Do you have to suck it up and track someone down anyways? Or could you just provide a verifier, such as a landlord/family member/friend that knows you worked there?

Thanks for your help!

I'm wondering about something similar... a couple of the places I worked for there's no one there that can verify I worked there.

One has had a complete overhaul and so no one knows me anymore, and there isn't a record (refereeing soccer), and the other has apparently gone out of business/moved (landscaping company). I have plenty of friends/family who can verify my employment at those places but I know it says to avoid using friends/family as verifiers.

I wouldn't put friends or family for verifiers, it just makes it look sketchy even though those friends were with you doing that job or on that trip. You do not want to give the committee a reason to put your application aside. Try to look for those verifier, I know it is really hectic but it is a most.

A tip: just in case (god forbid) you have to apply again, try to keep a file of the verifiers, their contact info and where/ when to contact them to make it easier!!!

While I do agree that using non-friends/family members for verifiers is best, I had quite a few in my application and was accepted...so if you really have no better option then I don't think they arbitrarily 'toss it aside' should your verifiers be family/friends.

While I do agree that using non-friends/family members for verifiers is best, I had quite a few in my application and was accepted...so if you really have no better option then I don't think they arbitrarily 'toss it aside' should your verifiers be family/friends.

Exact same situation with me and that's why I said use it as a last resort.

For my application last cycle I had to use my grandmother as a verifier for my work as a social companion, as both women i worked with had passed away in the last year. I was accepted, so it obviously wasn't a large problem. It was also a substantial activity and I included in my essay, but the lack of verifier didn't seem to be an issue.

That being said, I would try to address why you don't have a legit verifier in the activity description. I know space is short, but perhaps you could say something along the lines of " As a ____ for a now defunct landscaping business, i was responsible for ______"

UBC can be quite harsh with verifiers.

A verifier I had switched jobs AFTER the deadline last year so I emailed to inform them and gave them the contact for the new person.

UBC replied back saying it was my responsibility to be accurate, which I clearly was because I informed them when it happened.

Archived