Premed 101 Forums

Mac Health Sciences

99% average = grade inflation to the max.

No way anyone should be getting near perfect in English.

And I wouldn't say my school has grade inflation. There are only three people in Gr 12 with above 90 averages (out of 180 kids). Probably a result of the strict teachers/hard marking teachers we have.

This kid is just really, really smart.

And I wouldn't say my school has grade inflation. There are only three people in Gr 12 with above 90 averages (out of 180 kids). Probably a result of the strict teachers/hard marking teachers we have.

This kid is just really, really smart.

Regardless of how smart you are, it's impossible to achieve a 99%. Impossible. As HBP mentioned, it's isn't possible to score 100% in subjective courses such as English and Literature, which have no mark-to-mark marking scheme and whose mark depends on the teacher's analysis of the student's writing skill. Teachers that give out 99% or 100% in such courses are beyond bad.

IMO, standardized testing in the last two years of high school is something that should be implemented in Ontario asap. It's very unfair to base university admission on such shaky statistics as High School average.

you have to be an arrogant jackass that likes things handed to them on a plate to get in.

A little bitter there I see.

IMO, standardized testing in the last two years of high school is something that should be implemented in Ontario asap. It's very unfair to base university admission on such shaky statistics as High School average.

Agreed. I should think that's why there is such heavy weighting towards supplementary applications once you meet a certain mark cut-off. Then again, if two students score equally well on their supplementary applications, it goes back to marks.

I was thinking though: if standardized testing was in fact implemented, there lies probable exposure of an imbalance in the quality of education across different high schools. That is, if the teachers at one school are just terrible, it serves to suggest that students from those schools would continually do poorly. I do suppose this could be a good thing, as these teachers would eventually be implicated. Then again, they might not be.

...I'm all over the place. :confused:

Archived