Premed 101 Forums

Extra year or 4 years to get into UWO

Well my case is a rather special one, I was forced to go to a university anyways

1st year GPA(3.57)-dropped a course, 1st sem horible 3.3, 2nd sem 3.78

2nd year GPA(3.46-dropped another course, dam uni strike, 2B-'s killed me

3rd year GPA (3.88)-dropped another course

It sucks cause i had to drop those course to save my scholarship, cause ain't got no cash to pay 4 skool

Now comes 4th year(this september), need 18 credits at 4th year level, say by some freak accident i get 3.70/3.75 to meet UWO requirement and graduate with my degree.{Thats 1/2 GPA years}

They have a clause for a 5th year:

9.8 SPECIAL STUDENTS: UNIVERSITY GRADUATES

Applicants, who have earned a degree from a recognized university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. (Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff.) A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First-year courses, repeat/anti-requisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year. (Revised and approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)

So any 3rd year and above course is good or second year if it has a prereq?

If i take a fifth year to try to go UWO?

OR

Maybe I should finish my degree, go get another one meet the GPA requirements do better and not be influenced by bad kids then apply for UWO

Anybodies imput and sugguestions would be appreciated would hate to have to go for a 5th year and miss the GPA requirement if I was conditionally accepted.

I'd say if you can hustle your remaining 2 years (4th and the special year) you would have a decent shot at schools that take top 2 years. You would save yourself a lot of time and money over doing a whole new degree. The only thing is that for schools that don't do the conditional offers, you'll have to wait till after you finish your 5th year to apply using completed year 4 and 5 for the best two.

Good Luck!

Just so you know, you have to have a full 5.0 courses per year in order be eligible for an interview at UWO. Since you dropped courses in 1st to 3rd year, I'm assuming you didn't have a full 5.0 courses per year for any of those years right? Just keep that in mind for next year since you can only take one special year for UWO med. You have to take 5.0 courses in your fourth year or more in order to have it eligible for medical school and then use your 5th year for the second of two FULL course load years.

Guest postman

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post, but UWO needs 2 years above the cutoff and you already have a 3.88 in your 3rd year, which you can probably get a conditional interview for. Your 4th year would be the conditional year in this case and I'm not sure why you're looking at 5th year right now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post, but UWO needs 2 years above the cutoff and you already have a 3.88 in your 3rd year, which you can probably get a conditional interview for. Your 4th year would be the conditional year in this case and I'm not sure why you're looking at 5th year right now.

He dropped a course during his 3rd year

Archived