1. 1. Who's Your Smartphone Carrier?

• Rogers
    • Bell
    • Telus
    • Fido
    • Other

The Student plan I had with rogers from last summer 2009 is:

300 week day mins

500 megs of data (a lot now that i look back at it... mostly connected to wifi)

my10 NATION WIDE (or you could get unt text and two other options in place of this, good if you have family in another province)

Unlimited Evening stating at 5pm and weekends

45$/month + system access fee (7$/mt - which apparently they cant charge anymore... So I am gonna try to get a better student plan this summer/fall.. usually when student plans are around.. you can change your plan even if you have a contract... but you cant get rid of your data) + $1/mt govt fees

On top of that 12$/mt for enhanced voicemail (not visual voice which iPhone can have), caller id, and who called

Why aren't wind mobile or mobilicity listed as options? I'm with WIND.

Plan: $80/month, unlimited talk (Canada wide) + unlimited data + unlimited text (US/Canada), caller ID, voicemail - $30 off per month for 5 months and first month was $45 off (free voice plan)... I might down grade to the $65/month plan (instead of unlimited data, 500MB)... as long as I'm in a WIND home zone

ooo and no contract. :)

PS - astudentis, they have no system access fee, they just renamed it to "government fee" and still charge it. :rolleyes:

how does everyone find amazing plans????????????

I got a contract last year with Rogers

$50 data plan includes:

400 daytime minutes

network calling

500 mb data

then I added:

$15 for texting plan

$25 for 500 long distance minutes

I pay over $100/month :(

bahhh

Threaten to cancel, get transferred to retentions, get better plan (but you must renew at 3 years). You can do this every 6 months until you get an amazing plan. I think my friend has the same plan as you, but is only paying around $40/month

--

Buying a BB soon, will be using it on WIND

Threaten to cancel, get transferred to retentions, get better plan (but you must renew at 3 years). You can do this every 6 months until you get an amazing plan. I think my friend has the same plan as you, but is only paying around $40/month

--

Buying a BB soon, will be using it on WIND

How can you do this every 6 months if you are locked in a 3 yr contract the after the first time you do it?

how does everyone find amazing plans????????????

I got a contract last year with Rogers

$50 data plan includes:

400 daytime minutes

network calling

500 mb data

then I added:

$15 for texting plan

$25 for 500 long distance minutes

I pay over $100/month :(

bahhh

Switch to Wind mobile or mobilicity. :)

(If you're in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Vancouver or Edmonton)

Switch to Wind mobile or mobilicity. :)

(If you're in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Vancouver or Edmonton)

How is wind's coverage outside of the major centers.... If I'm driving home through rural areas between Ottawa and Niagara, am I going to find a lot of dead zones?

Another question, how badly do they get you for making calls outside of your home zone?

How is wind's coverage outside of the major centers.... If I'm driving home through rural areas between Ottawa and Niagara, am I going to find a lot of dead zones?

Another question, how badly do they get you for making calls outside of your home zone?

I can't say how good their coverage is outside the major centers... but I've been researching WIND (and will be going with them when I get a BB!) and their plans are simply amazing for what you get. And if you're outside a home zone (not just "your" home zone.... home zones are Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Hamilton, Ottawa, Vancouver (with more coming soon)- whereever you are. ie if you live in TO, but come to visit Edmonton, you'd be considered in a "home" zone while you're in Ed... that's the way I understand it anyways) if you're outside those zones, they really hose you for calls... at 25c a minute.. lol. To anywhere. Long distance, or local. 25c a minute:D. That's cheaper than what I pay now on my prepaid plan I'm with (thus the reason I'm switching)! And considering long distance you normally have to pay for the "call" and then for the "long distance" (for me right now: 35c/min regular call + 35c/min for long distance charge=70c a minute).... it's a really damn good deal!

From all the companies and plans I've been looking at, theirs is definitely the cheapest (even factoring the cost of the phone). And there's no 3 year contract you have to be locked in at.... like their adds say... everybody WINDS :D (ok... that was bad, I admit it)

Just one question for anyone that's with WIND right now: Do they have any extra fees that pop up on the bills though? ie system access fees etc?

I can't say how good their coverage is outside the major centers... but I've been researching WIND (and will be going with them when I get a BB!) and their plans are simply amazing for what you get. And if you're outside a home zone (not just "your" home zone.... home zones are Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Hamilton, Ottawa, Vancouver (with more coming soon)- whereever you are. ie if you live in TO, but come to visit Edmonton, you'd be considered in a "home" zone while you're in Ed... that's the way I understand it anyways) if you're outside those zones, they really hose you for calls... at 25c a minute.. lol. To anywhere. Long distance, or local. 25c a minute:D. That's cheaper than what I pay now on my prepaid plan I'm with (thus the reason I'm switching)! And considering long distance you normally have to pay for the "call" and then for the "long distance" (for me right now: 35c/min regular call + 35c/min for long distance charge=70c a minute).... it's a really damn good deal!

From all the companies and plans I've been looking at, theirs is definitely the cheapest (even factoring the cost of the phone). And there's no 3 year contract you have to be locked in at.... like their adds say... everybody WINDS :D (ok... that was bad, I admit it)

Just one question for anyone that's with WIND right now: Do they have any extra fees that pop up on the bills though? ie system access fees etc?

in your example - does this mean you can answer your phone whilst in edmonton and not get charged?

because otherwise, rogers and telus do that too. i currently have a halifax cell # but can make calls local calls in toronto at no extra charge. if i answer my cell phone, however, then i get slapped with $0.35/min.

in your example - does this mean you can answer your phone whilst in edmonton and not get charged?

because otherwise, rogers and telus do that too. i currently have a halifax cell # but can make calls local calls in toronto at no extra charge. if i answer my cell phone, however, then i get slapped with $0.35/min.

Yup. If you answer your phone while in a "WIND home zone" you won't be charged. So, if I live in Edmonton, and visit Calgary, and someone phones me (from anywhere in Canada) while I'm in Calgary, I won't be charged. Likewise, if I phone someone (while I am in Calgary) that lives in Toronto, I won't be charged for the call either because Calgary is also a "WIND home zone".

If, however, I am in Saskatoon and someone phones me, I will be charged 25c a minute for the call because Saskatoon is a "WIND away zone".

No wonder Rogers/Telus/Bell were mad when WIND wanted to come here... they realized that people would soon learn how much they were being hosed on their current cell phone plan:rolleyes:

Guest postman

I still have the discontinued Bell student plan from a year and a half ago. For $50 + $7 system access fee I get:

Unlimited data

Unlimited early nights and weekends (6 pm - 7 am)

Unlimited incoming text, MMS, and video messages

Nationwide call and text to 10 numbers

200 local anytime minutes

I still have the discontinued Bell student plan from a year and a half ago. For $50 + $7 system access fee I get:

Unlimited data

Unlimited early nights and weekends (6 pm - 7 am)

Unlimited incoming text, MMS, and video messages

Nationwide call and text to 10 numbers

200 local anytime minutes

That's a pretty sweet deal :D Data is mad expensive these days.

Rogers has some pretty wicked retention plans if you've been with them for a while. Give them a call and hope for the best. After calling 3 times and negotiation for around an hour, I ended up with:

$30/month

Unlimited evenings/weekends after 6

Unlimited text

Caller ID

Voicemail

15 gigs of data per month

200 local anytime

No contract

Rogers has some pretty wicked retention plans if you've been with them for a while. Give them a call and hope for the best. After calling 3 times and negotiation for around an hour, I ended up with:

$30/month

Unlimited text

Caller ID

Voicemail

200 local anytime

No contract

Wow. Amazing plan.

How do you use 15 gigs of data per month!?

How can you do this every 6 months if you are locked in a 3 yr contract the after the first time you do it?

You just keep renewing your contract for 3 years every 6 months, so instead of being in the contract for 2 years 6 months, you'll be in it for 3 years again after 6 months

$30/month

Unlimited text

Caller ID

Voicemail

200 local anytime

No contract

15 gigs of data and $30 for all that. Did you hold them at gun point?! lol

$30/month

Unlimited text

Caller ID

Voicemail

200 local anytime

No contract

Holy crap!!! 15 gigs? Really - are you sure??

I want it! I want it! I want it!!

Guest postman

$30/month

Unlimited text

Caller ID

Voicemail

200 local anytime

No contract

Holy $#@T that's wicked!

Archived