Premed 101 Forums

What Smartphone are you Using in Med School?

What Smartphone are you Using in Med School?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Smartphone are you Using in Med School?

• iPhone
    • Blackberry
    • Android
    • Other

Ah I forgot to mention it has to be with telus, im restarting a contract!

Telus is the devil. If your phone malfunctions they hold separate offices for phone selling and contracts so that each side can say the other side is responsible to fix or replace the phone. 2 years and a lot of grief. I repeat, the devil. Just my 2 cents ;)

Telus is the devil. If your phone malfunctions they hold separate offices for phone selling and contracts so that each side can say the other side is responsible to fix or replace the phone. 2 years and a lot of grief. I repeat, the devil. Just my 2 cents ;)

My blackberry broke.

I got a little angry and they sent it away to be fixed for free.

Month later, its back to the same old ****.

I got VERY angry on the phone, i now get a new phone for the 3 year pricing, and out of my old contract.

Corporate businessmen dont scare me.

• 2 weeks later...
My blackberry broke.

I got a little angry and they sent it away to be fixed for free.

Month later, its back to the same old ****.

I got VERY angry on the phone, i now get a new phone for the 3 year pricing, and out of my old contract.

Corporate businessmen dont scare me.

They don't scare me either. But I think I scare them! There is the catch though, phone companies base their customer care on the stipulation of resigning a 3 yr contract. A signature I will never give Telus again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I decided on putting this in the med student section instead of clerkship 'cause I figured more people read this forum. Hopefully a few clerkship students frequent this one. Right now I'm waiting for new 3.5G phones to become available with Manitoba's new network. I want something that's easy to use and will be useful on the ward with the apps available. I don't like Blackberry's interface so I guess I'm mainly decided between Android and iPhone, so I'd like to get some opinions on that, especially from people who actually own one of these mentioned smartphones, and especially from people who have compared the brands against each other.

Also actual explanations would be great instead of things like "Steve Jobs is my hero" or "I h34rt G00gle".

My vote is for the iPhone from personal use, my reason is because of the apps available.

Lots of good free apps out there such as med calc, medscape, eponyms, micromedex

and a lot of good paid for apps, that a lot of schools have subscriptions for (in other words it's also free) such as Pepid, epocrates, skyscape, dynamed, lexicomp, diagnausaurus, uptodate if you have a subscription

Other things that come in handy: Translation tools for when your patient doesn't speak English. Camera, can take pictures of wounds for later reference (eg, cellulitis) with consent of course.

Summary: A smartphone is really good for looking up drug dosages, side effects, etc. It's not going to help you much on how to approach a problem, diagnosis, and so on, that's information best in your head. Calculator tools are useful too. Any smartphone, as long as it has a drug and disease database should be fine.

• 1 year later...
I'm gonna wait til next year to get me a smart phone. But if I were to get one today, it would probably be the RAZR MAXX.

Do you know what phone I have?

From now on when you're typing, stop, and type the opposite of what you were going to say. It's easier on our psyches that way

Do you know what phone I have?

From now on when you're typing, stop, and type the opposite of what you were going to say. It's easier on our psyches that way

You don't strike me as an iPhone man, that's too mainstream...

I'm going to go with...ah I can't force it it has to come naturally. I don't want to ruin the streak.

I have an ipod touch, and found it to be sufficient in both med school and my job as a working pharmacist. This is mainly because I don't require internet access at all times though. A lot of my apps download the information onto the device (e.g. Medscape, Micromedex), so I can access the information without connecting to the internet. The times I want to use the internet tends to be when I want to check bus schedules, which I can do at home, or school, so it's not too bad

I am going to replace my current Blackberry soon, and need to decide whether to buy another Blackberry or an iPhone.

I do not have a home phone. As such, I want to get a phone that will operate on WiFi, in order to cut down the number of daytime minutes I'm using. I am mid-contract with Rogers. However, paying the $100 early upgrade fee is worth saving all the extra minute charges I'm paying each month.

I like having the separate buttons on my Blackberry. (I have a Curve.) I also like the Blackberry Desktop Software, which I find very easy to use. However, I've been told that using a BB during clerkship will cost me a lot for data, since information isn't actually stored on the BB, but rather has to be downloaded each time you access it. Does anyone have any experience with medical programs on a BB?

Is it possible to set up the phone to operate on the different secure wireless networks that are available in the hospital? Is it easy to obtain access to these networks when doing rotations at other hospitals?

How does the iPhone work for e-mail? Is it easy to use? How is typing on the touch screen?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

I don't know which province you are in but sometimes the CMA or your provincial association or student association might have a deal with a carrier. It might be worth it to ask around. I know the CMA has a deal with Telus. In QC, the FEMQ has a deal with Rogers.

Archived