Premed 101 Forums

minimum GPA to apply?

hey,

i was just wondering, on the uOttawa website, it says that only the most recent three full time years of academic study are converted in order to determine cutoffs for the various applicant pools. i have tried searching, but i have seen nothing with respect to absolute minimum gpa requirements to apply.

i was just wondering if uottawa has a minimum cgpa that is required to even be considered? or is the wgpa the only criteria that is looked at to determine cutoffs?

thanks.

It depends on where you're from. In terms of wGPA-

3.70 Ottawa/Outa/Champlain LHIN

3.85 in Ontario- not Ottawa area

3.87 OOP

thanks. yes, i am aware that each stream has a specific wgpa cutoff. but what i was wondering, is there a minimum cgpa (i.e., cumulative grade point average) that an applicant must have over all their coursework, not simply the most recent three years, in order to apply and be considered for admission at uottawa med?

thanks. yes, i am aware that each stream has a specific wgpa cutoff. but what i was wondering, is there a minimum cgpa (i.e., cumulative grade point average) that an applicant must have over all their coursework, not simply the most recent three years, in order to apply and be considered for admission at uottawa med?

There is none....

my cGPA was roughly 3.3 or something like that.

As long as your last 3 years make the wGPA cutoff your good to go on.

There is none....

my cGPA was roughly 3.3 or something like that.

As long as your last 3 years make the wGPA cutoff your good to go on.

sweet. thanks for that one.

i ask b/c my wgpa meets the cutoffs from last year, but my cgpa sucks.

Hey,

Does anyone know what kind of "proof of geographical status" they ask for if you live in the Ottawa region? I ask because I have been studying in Toronto and staying at my relatives but I have an address in Ottawa as well. Would a driver's liscence be good enough?

Thanks!

Hey,

Does anyone know what kind of "proof of geographical status" they ask for if you live in the Ottawa region? I ask because I have been studying in Toronto and staying at my relatives but I have an address in Ottawa as well. Would a driver's liscence be good enough?

Thanks!

Drivers license, passport i think are sufficient.

lol. Maybe I should learn to read better. :o

Hey,

Thanks!

Did you go to high school in Ottawa? Because they can look at high school transcripts. You can always email admissions and ask them.

lol. Maybe I should learn to read better. :o

Did you go to high school in Ottawa? Because they can look at high school transcripts. You can always email admissions and ask them.

lol. no problem. i am quite certain you're a fine reader.

Does anyone know if the Ottawa med wGPA cutoffs posted anywhere on their website or on any document through OMSAS? (I tried looking for it but was not able to find it).

Thanks.

They don't post the cutoffs, since they want to reserve the right to change them based on the applications that they receive in any given year. However, if you call/email, they tell you what the cutoffs were the year before.

They don't post the cutoffs, since they want to reserve the right to change them based on the applications that they receive in any given year. However, if you call/email, they tell you what the cutoffs were the year before.

i wonder how much the cutoffs fluctuate between years? does it vary quite a bit (i.e., 3.5 vs 3.8 in a given year), or does it tend to remain fairly consistent (i.e., 3.7 vs 3.72)?

i wonder how much the cutoffs fluctuate between years? does it vary quite a bit (i.e., 3.5 vs 3.8 in a given year), or does it tend to remain fairly consistent (i.e., 3.7 vs 3.72)?
From all accounts that I've heard, it stays fairly stable for a few years and then increases. Since they actually look at the sketch (unlike other schools where GPA+MCAT cutoff=interview) it makes sense that changes are slower.

For example, 2 cycles ago (2008-2009 application) someone I know applied who's Ottawa area. They had around a 3.67 (or 3.68 maybe?) wGPA and they thought they would have a chance since the year before (2007-2008) the wGPA cutoff for Ottawa was 3.65. But then they got the pre-interview rejection due to not meeting the (newly increased) 3.70 cutoff. So it went up by 0.5, which is quite a bit, but it's stayed the same for the past 2 years.

Then again, this is the med school application process. Who really knows what's going on?

From all accounts that I've heard, it stays fairly stable for a few years and then increases. Since they actually look at the sketch (unlike other schools where GPA+MCAT cutoff=interview) it makes sense that changes are slower.

For example, 2 cycles ago (2008-2009 application) someone I know applied who's Ottawa area. They had around a 3.67 (or 3.68 maybe?) wGPA and they thought they would have a chance since the year before (2007-2008) the wGPA cutoff for Ottawa was 3.65. But then they got the pre-interview rejection due to not meeting the (newly increased) 3.70 cutoff. So it went up by 0.5, which is quite a bit, but it's stayed the same for the past 2 years.

Then again, this is the med school application process. Who really knows what's going on?

true that. this is a crapshoot.

do you know how long it has been since the last set of wgpa increases? i'm trying to gauge if my wgpa as is will be enough to meet the cutoffs based on last year's cutoffs.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So would they use the 2-3 years from your second undergraduate and calculate the wgpa or your first undergrad is looked at as well in calculating wgpa.

Thanks

I believe they look at your 3 most recent years of whatever undergrad degree you're in. So for example if you're in 1st year of your 2nd undergrad they'd look at 1st year of your 2nd undergrad as well as 3rd and 4th year of your 1st undergrad. If you're in 2nd year of your 2nd undergrad they'd look at your 1st and 2nd years as well as your last year of your 1st undergrad. Yeah I know it's a lot of numbers lol

Archived