Premed 101 Forums

Pass/fail credit and it's effect on GPA consideration

UofT has a new policy allowing you to take up to 1.0 FCE using a credit/no credit scheme. I'm considering taking this option up for organic chem this year (second year). I know that in applying to UofT's med school, it'd count as one of the credits that are taken out in the wGPA. How would this affect GPA calculation at other schools like Ottawa or Western etc? Thanks guys.

For both OttawaU and Western, such courses have no effect on GPA calculation. They are only regarded as courses that fulfill the undergraduate degree and course load requirement. Also, for OttawaU, required courses can be marked under Pass/Credit - I asked the admissions last year and they said it was fine. I'm not sure if this is still the case though.

Should really search these q's first...

But for UT, they'll count as part of the 3 or more FCEs that are eliminated in the weighting formula (unless you have more than a full courseload that year).

Basically, by the end of your 3rd year, they must have 12 FCEs worth of marks and 3 dropped FCEs. Because your CR/NCR does not have a mark, it must be dropped.

i have a question about this too! for UT specifically.

I also have pass/fail credits each year. But i also take 5+ courses each year as per program requirement. So does that mean i'm taking more than "full course load" and my lowest grades would be dropped instead of my pass/fail credits?

I'm confused...:confused: :confused: :confused:

i have a question about this too! for UT specifically.

I also have pass/fail credits each year. But i also take 5+ courses each year as per program requirement. So does that mean i'm taking more than "full course load" and my lowest grades would be dropped instead of my pass/fail credits?

I'm confused...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yeah, that's exactly what it means.

Read this: http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/course-levels/#comment-166

Hello Hopeful. Any courses for which there are no grades (so, including CR/NCR and LWD) cannot be included in a GPA calculation (no grade = nothing to calculate). In effect they would become part of the group of credits dropped through application of the weighting formula.

Example:

30 credits completed (10 per year for 3 years)

Eligible for 3 FCE (6 credits) being dropped from the GPA calculation = GPA will be calculated on the best 24 credits

If 2 credits (1 FCE) come from a CR/NCR course, then those would comprise 2 of the 6 credits ignored by the GPA calculation.

Otherwise, if we dropped 6 credits for which a grade were available, then also had 2 credits with a CR designation, we would only have 22 credits on which to calculate the GPA.

Clear as mud?

But then if you overload: http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/course-levels/#comment-171

If you have 5 FCEs anyway, then no, it won’t have an effect on the weighting formula. Bottom line is that 24 credits would be the minimum number of credits we would use to calculate the GPA in the above 3 years of grades scenario.

Cheers

Archived