Premed 101 Forums

For Those Who Have/Will Take MCAT...Any Book Recomendations?

Hey, i was wondering if anyone if there are any specific books/book series that you thought were really helpful in preparing for the MCAT?

Also is there a section that is harder than the others? Like what subject/part of it should we as premeds who are preparing to take the MCAT focus on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From SDN, the best books to get for each subject (this is off the top of my head, but it is on SDN):

General Chem - Berkley / TPR

Physics - Nova / Berkley

Orgo Chem - Berkley / TPR

Biology - EK w/ 101 Passages in Bio

VR - EK 101 w/ TPR for extra practice

WS - Use the AAMC website for prompts, read the examples they post on the e-MCAT site

I personally did all EK, but Nova with physics and did fairly well (except in verbal).

*Bold = #1 choice for most SDN members (but Berkley is expensive to ship to Canada, so it is not as common I find)

From SDN, the best books to get for each subject (this is off the top of my head, but it is on SDN):

Physics - Nova / Berkley

WS - Use the AAMC website for prompts, read the examples they post on the e-MCAT site

I personally did all EK, but Nova with physics and did fairly well (except in verbal).

*Bold = #1 choice for most SDN members (but Berkley is expensive to ship to Canada, so it is not as common I find)

Wow thanks for all these books!

Hmm i need all the help I can get with physics! It's not exactly my bet course :mad:

I'll check for them at my library. So the Berkley is not available in local bookstores like Chapters?

Wow thanks for all these books!

Hmm i need all the help I can get with physics! It's not exactly my bet course :mad:

I'll check for them at my library. So the Berkley is not available in local bookstores like Chapters?

Unfortunately, no, just on their website

Site is ghetto, but legit

http://www.berkeley-review.com/

You will be hit with huge custooms if you order from them though since they don't ship with USPS

Unfortunately, no, just on their website

Site is ghetto, but legit

http://www.berkeley-review.com/

You will be hit with huge custooms if you order from them though since they don't ship with USPS

Arggh! I'll be looking into reviews about them. If it still seems worth while to me, I'll probably just order them seeing as its probably a small price to pay for doing well on the MCAT! Thanks for the webbie, ill take a look!

Physics - Nova / Berkley

hi, where can i read the examples on e-mcat? I can't find it there. Thanks!

hehe somebody doesn't like Kaplan to much.

I studied from TPR last time and Kaplan this one.

And In my opinion TPR is a better flow of understanding so you can really command the knowledge, Kaplan is a better heres the facts as quick as you can get them down don't forget these and its most of the answers style. At least with regards to bio/chem/phys.

As for the writing sample and verbal reasoning, I found the TPR strategies very weak and the Kaplan ones at least beneficial so far - however many people would disagree with me on that one.

I think the bottom line is they are all 90% the same, the 10% difference depends on what kind of style you prefer. These books are done by professionals who all have similar takes on the material (namely to make money). I assume this generalization would extend to all the other review books for the MCAT - so you can't really go wrong.

Archived