Premed 101 Forums

Please Advise Me

I'm going to be applying this cycle. I completed my undergraduate education in the US (Cornell University). To be honest, I am sick of the US and I would like to attend a Canadian university.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.86 (4.00,3.98,3.51)

MCAT: Will be taking it this July. I am confident that I will get a score over 30 (I've been scoring 37+ on the AAMC practice tests).

ECs:

*Tutoring for 3 years

*~2 years of research in 3 different labs(2 summers, 1 school year), 1 abstract

*youth group for 5 years

*latino council member (education committee) for 1 year

*Helped build a school for my community (volunteer labourer)

*50 hours of shadowing

*medical volunteer trip to Gaza in summer of 2008(1 month)

*minimal clinical experience (probably 2 months/100 hours by application date)

*3 scholarships, 2 honours societies, multiple awards

Recs:

*English prof who once told me I was his best student in 30 years.

*Research PI (Aquatic Ecology)

*Biochemistry prof

What are my chances of getting into a Canadian school? I'm thinking of applying to all of the Ontario schools, Dalhousie, Saskatchewan and UofC. I'm an Ontario resident(SWOMEN). Should I add/delete any schools to my list?

I'm going to be applying this cycle. I completed my undergraduate education in the US (Cornell University). To be honest, I am sick of the US and I would like to attend a Canadian university.

Here are my stats:

MCAT: Will be taking it this July. I am confident that I will get a score over 30 (I've been scoring 37+ on the AAMC practice tests).

ECs:

*Tutoring for 3 years

*youth group for 5 years

*50 hours of shadowing

Recs:

*Biochemistry prof

What are my chances of getting into a Canadian school? I'm thinking of applying to all of the Ontario schools, Dalhousie, Saskatchewan and UofC. I'm an Ontario resident(SWOMEN). Should I add/delete any schools to my list?

everything seems good.. ottawa is out though because of weighing that favours third year GPA...

Just be prepared to defend that medical volunteer trip... Its a mixed bag of emotions when it comes to adcoms

everything seems good.. ottawa is out though because of weighing that favours third year GPA...

Just be prepared to defend that medical volunteer trip... Its a mixed bag of emotions when it comes to adcoms

I hate how the Canadian medical school application process is so based on numbers. **** you Ottawa :mad: /jk

What's wrong with a medical volunteer trip? I think that trip greatly influenced my decision to become a doctor. I spent the majority of my time talking to patients and comforting them...it was a very worthwhile experience.

I hate how the Canadian medical school application process is so based on numbers. **** you Ottawa :mad: /jk

What's wrong with a medical volunteer trip? I think that trip greatly influenced my decision to become a doctor. I spent the majority of my time talking to patients and comforting them...it was a very worthwhile experience.

Thats good. Just dont try to overemphasize the impact that you had. The issue is that many premeds are trying to have themselves stand out by participating in alot of extraneous, resume-padding activities that they are not really interested in. While this may have always been the bogeyman at the back of the closet, with the increasing competition between premeds, too many people see activities as checklists rather than something that is to be done for its own sake. Unfortunately, this means that adcoms have to critically examine your activities and any ulterior motives for participating in said activities. Ottawa is actually famous for this type of flambe grill-type interview.

Here are my stats:

ECs:

*Tutoring for 3 years

*youth group for 5 years

*50 hours of shadowing

Recs:

*Biochemistry prof

Your stats look stellar. You might want to be prepared to explain the sudden drop of GPA in your third year. EC is great too. Your Swomen status adds even more bonus. I think just be yourself then you have a great chance of entering med schools in Canada.

No one doubts that it was a worthwhile experience to you. But what qualifications do you have in terms of counseling or comforting patients?

Adcoms don't like it when students go abroad to "get clinical exposure" that they couldn't get in Canada because.. guess what, you can't in Canada for a good reason.

No one doubts that it was a worthwhile experience to you. But what qualifications do you have in terms of counseling or comforting patients?

Adcoms don't like it when students go abroad to "get clinical exposure" that they couldn't get in Canada because.. guess what, you can't in Canada for a good reason.

hmm... i never thougt of it that way before... you are right... if ad coms looked favourably upon this... it would be sending the wrong message. Students are not qualified for counselling (unless it is the regular... you are going to be okay type?), no matter if their "patients" are first world or third world

I don't have any qualifications in terms of counselling patients, and I did not discuss the patient's medical problems. One of the patients I talked to was a ~60 yo women who had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks without anyone visiting her. Talking to a lonely person is definitely a way to comfort them. I didn't go abroad to get clinical exposure that I can't get in Canada. You can get the same type of exposure (talking to patients) in Canada/US.

Your stats look stellar. You might want to be prepared to explain the sudden drop of GPA in your third year. EC is great too. Your Swomen status adds even more bonus. I think just be yourself then you have a great chance of entering med schools in Canada.

Thank you :D

I blame it on honors physical chemistry. I should have majored in biology...

I don't have any qualifications in terms of counselling patients, and I did not discuss the patient's medical problems. One of the patients I talked to was a ~60 yo women who had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks without anyone visiting her. Talking to a lonely person is definitely a way to comfort them. I didn't go abroad to get clinical exposure that I can't get in Canada. You can get the same type of exposure (talking to patients) in Canada/US.

Thank you :D

I blame it on honors physical chemistry. I should have majored in biology...

Be careful saying this... Some med school interviewers (cough... ottawa... cough) will expect you to explain why you chose to go overseas if you recognize that you get the same level of patient exposure as you would at home.

Be careful saying this... Some med school interviewers (cough... ottawa... cough) will expect you to explain why you chose to go overseas if you recognize that you get the same level of patient exposure as you would at home.

I was born in Gaza and lived there for 7 years.

lol. I'm seriously considering not mentioning this trip on my app. It looks like it's going to generate too many questions...

no man mention it, definitely builds character and you did nothing but help others on that trip....and respect to you for coming this far after living in the struggling situation in Gaza best of luck in everything

lol. I'm seriously considering not mentioning this trip on my app. It looks like it's going to generate too many questions...

Definitely mention it, forget all the naysayers. Just don't overplay it like you were saving the world being there. Also, if they ask you for your most significant achievement/meaningful contribution, definitely do not answer it with this.

Lol I think its absurd how people on this forum made you think that the experience is not worth mentioning. You absolutely should mention it. Especially like you said it also helped reinforce your decision to pursue medicine. ONly concern of posters had for you was that some people overplay this card thinking going overseas is like a guarentee to med school (believe me sooo many people I met had this kind of thought). It's just as meaningful of an experience as you make it.

Lol I think its absurd how people on this forum made you think that the experience is not worth mentioning. You absolutely should mention it. Especially like you said it also helped reinforce your decision to pursue medicine. ONly concern of posters had for you was that some people overplay this card thinking going overseas is like a guarentee to med school (believe me sooo many people I met had this kind of thought). It's just as meaningful of an experience as you make it.

yah... sorry if i gave you that impression... My advice is to keep it on your app, but if asked about it, take a very neutral stance on it. I.e. it was a significant volunteer activity and be treated as any other significant volunteer activities. What adcoms pick up on is when applicants think that doing INTERNATIONAL volunteering is like graduating from the minor leagues to the major leagues, AND THAT is whats going to ruffle feathers :P

Absolutely mention it. Just be aware that it isn't the golden goose of an application anymore. Sure, it leads to questions, but honestly, those can be really good questions once you get to the interview if you can be passionate about a place that you grew up, some of the experience you gained there, how it helped get your some exposure to medical environments, travel opportunity, etc. As long as you don't declare that it proved you could be a doctor, or it made you more qualified to be a Doctor, those are the types of blanket statements that can get you into trouble with those things.

Archived