Premed 101 Forums

Helloooo again!!

Sorry for my endless questions. I was wondering about parking. What do most people do if they live further off campus? Can you get parking passes near the hospital or do most people park on a street and walk?

Thanks - frantically searching for housing options and deciding how far I want to live away!

Helloooo again!!

Sorry for my endless questions. I was wondering about parking. What do most people do if they live further off campus? Can you get parking passes near the hospital or do most people park on a street and walk?

Thanks - frantically searching for housing options and deciding how far I want to live away!

Parking at the U=crazy expensive. Depending on where you live it is seriously so much easier to take the bus/LRT (or drive to the park and ride and take the bus/LRT from there since the Park and Rides are free if you take transit). Cheaper too since you have to pay for a transit pass (here it's called the U-Pass) in your student fees (I think this coming year it's something like $80 per semester for unlimited access to the bus/LRT system in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and St Albert). I've heard upwards of $400 per semester (or more) for parking, so you really would save a lot taking transit (if that's at all feasible for you).

As far as parking goes, there's really no parking on the street in the univeristy area. It's all in designated parking lots. Not sure about the ones that are directly adjacent to the hospital, but if you need parking, try the Education Car Park. It's literally across the street from all the med buildings.

EDIT: Not sure of how big of a place you need, but if you can get a place near the Century Park Transit Station (or hell, anywhere remotely close to it) on the south side, that would be ideal because there's a park and ride location there, as well as the LRT that will take you right to the Hospital/university. I think the total ride time would be about 15ish minutes from Century Park to the University. As opposed to half an hour or more in morning rush hour traffic. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM :)

Parking at the U=crazy expensive. Depending on where you live it is seriously so much easier to take the bus/LRT (or drive to the park and ride and take the bus/LRT from there since the Park and Rides are free if you take transit). Cheaper too since you have to pay for a transit pass (here it's called the U-Pass) in your student fees (I think this coming year it's something like $80 per semester for unlimited access to the bus/LRT system in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and St Albert). I've heard upwards of $400 per semester (or more) for parking, so you really would save a lot taking transit (if that's at all feasible for you).

That pretty much echoes the advice I've been given. When my husband and I were looking for a place in Edmonton in April, we decided on a place close to the LRT, since parking at the university is so expensive, and he'll have free parking at work. We were lucky and found a wonderful place in a great community, one block from an LRT station, and it will be quick LRT ride to the university for me.

As far as parking goes, there's really no parking on the street in the univeristy area. It's all in designated parking lots. Not sure about the ones that are directly adjacent to the hospital, but if you need parking, try the Education Car Park. It's literally across the street from all the med buildings

Unless you have a while to wait (which you don't) don't even bother for Education - it has a several-year long wait list. The feasible options around the U for you would be Jubilee parkade (under $100 per month) or Corbett Hall parking (also under $100 per month).

Most economically feasible? You already pay for the Upass in your fees so park and ride from the LRT - if you are South or North it makes sense. If you are East or West, not so much.

I have a friend that lives in tofield, and has found the best way to get to the u every day is to drive and park at capilano mall, take the bus the rest of the way. Craziness. But it works I suppose. What end of the city are you planning on living in?

As for housing, have you considered strathcona/whyte? The rent is not horrible per se, and the lifestyle can't be beat. The only culture in Alberta!

Good luck on getting to school...

Archived