Premed 101 Forums

Trouble

Is anyone else having trouble choosing your three referees...so far I have 1 in mind that I had 2 classes with and will be doing my honours thesis with. The thing is I will not start until sept. so he will only have 1 month to gauge my lab abilities. Therefore, its most likely that he will just have to base the letter on how I did in his two courses.

I still however need to choose two other referees... which is much harder bc I do not like bothering professors and I feel like they do not know me well enough. I was thinking of asking a senior lab coordinator, would that be okay?

Did anyone else have trouble with referees... did professors know you well enough or did you just have 1 class with them that you did well in.

Any help would be great

I had one academic and two non-academic--both of the latter wrote "friend" as their relationship to me. They all knew me pretty well and all told me they were willing to write excellent reference letters. I got rejected by 1 school, waitlisted by 1 and accepted to 1 of the 3 I applied to.

I went with one prof I had class with/helped with her research, my boss at my part time job during school who is more of a friend than anything, and someone who managed one of my volunteer activities.

I just did my best to make sure there would be a good mix of my academic potential, my work ethic, and my personality/character.

In the end, I'm not sure about Toronto, but I think for the most part reference letters in Ontario will only affect you if they're bad.

I actually didn't even use a prof for my academic, I used a HS teacher.

The other was an ex-employer and the third was someone who knew my volunteer experience.

Get people who know you well.

+1 to this

Got a varsity basketball coach, employer, and prof that i've taken a load of courses with + volunteered with.

Archived