Premed 101 Forums

Pre Req help

Hey guys

I am a non-science major with a quick question for you guys. Any input would be appreciated. I have completed most of my pre req courses. So far I have finished 2 physics, 2 bio, 2 chem, 2 o ochem, 1 calc, and 1 stats course. I have a little dilemma with Biochemistry though. At UofC they offer BCHEM 341( only non Bio Majors) which is equivalent to BCHEM 393, but does not require genetics as a prereq. A second BCHEM ( I believe its BCHEM 443) can be taken using either BCHEM 341 or BCHEM 393 as a prereq.

My question is, do you think it would be pointless to take genetics and then BCHEM 393 if I can take BCHEM 341 and completly skip genetics? Will med schools really care if I have taken genetics?

Thanks

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nope - no point in doing it unless you are interested in it. No school has genetics as a direct pre-req. Your fine as long as you have your year of bio...

With that said, genetics is quite important in medicine. An understanding of basic genetics is very valuable to have in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay great, thanks for all the help. I guess I can take a senior option instead now.

And to answer the question about your application and recommended courses, my cousin knows a guy who did his undergrad in engineering. He hated engineering so he took the MCAT ( without MOST of the prereqs, bio , ochem) and applied to uofc med. Apparently he was accepted. So I'm pretty sure they dont impact it a lot but do hold some weight.

debatable.

If that is so, would you do us a favor and debate your point?

No one knows how Calgary determines the academic side of the application, but following a recommendation is generally in your best interest.

as has been said above, the extent of genetics knowledge required to pass the pre-clerkship courses is very minimal. a basic understanding of AD/AR/X-linked D/R will get you through. Stuff you probably learned in Gr 12 Bio 30 or equivalent. The more advanced genetics stuff is not tested, and really, not that important in clinical practice - unless you really want to do peds/work with familial diseases/etc. most of the funky syndromes get referred to specalists in the area of that disease. I highly doubt most GP's or specalists for that matter recall any of their undergrad genetics material.

therefore, not that useful. take something you're interested in.

And to answer the question about your application and recommended courses, my cousin knows a guy who did his undergrad in engineering. He hated engineering so he took the MCAT ( without MOST of the prereqs, bio , ochem) and applied to uofc med. Apparently he was accepted. So I'm pretty sure they dont impact it a lot but do hold some weight.

I'd more or less agree.

Reviewers look at your application and score them. It'll really be up to chance how much weight the reviewers who look at yours care about the pre-reqs. It likely has some impact, but probably not enough to get you rejected unless you're a borderline applicant.

debatable.

seconded - genetics in med boils down to 25/50/75/100% chance of ur kids getting screwed...and usually it's not that difficult to figure out

otherwise, they'll throw something multifactorial at u, and it won't matter because u never have to know the specific genes/inheritance patterns anyways.

Archived