Premed 101 Forums

Non-academic letters of reference?

I keep seeing threads where people say that you should have one non-academic letter of reference. Here's my problem. The only people I can reasonably get to write me letters of reference are professors (I think). Most of my EC's happened at school because I was an international student in the US, so even though I worked 20 hours a week all through my undergrad, it was on campus. I was involved in some non-school things and organizations, but the people I did them with were students and I don't really think I should have letters from my peers.

Now that I'm back in Canada doing a PhD, my job is still on campus as a TA, and the only things I do that aren't on campus are swim and stuff at my church. I presented some planetarium shows at Dal this year (I'm at SMU so that's not technically my school), but once again the guy in charge of that was a professor. I'm obviously not going to get the lifeguard at the YMCA to write me a letter, and it seems like it would be kind of weird to get someone from my church to. I did work at a home for developmentally disabled adults the only two summers that I came home during undergrad, but that was quite some time ago and I'd rather have letters from people whose primary interactions with me weren't when I was still a teenager. I do a lot of random astronomy/physics/science presentations for school groups from time to time, but that doesn't really give me someone who could write a letter.

So I was thinking of asking Prof. A, Prof. B, and Prof. C to write me letters. They're all from the uni where I did both my bachelor's and master's in the States. Prof. A was my master's supervisor, and in addition to doing a ton of research with him I also worked with him when I was the president of the astronomy club and he was the faculty advisor, I took two classes from him, I developed planetarium shows with him, and I TA'ed his classes for several years. Prof. B was on my master's committee, I took three classes from him, and I also TA'ed for him for several years. I first worked with Prof. C as an undergrad doing some really cool research and educational outreach stuff in my second year, and then I was his grader for a year, and after that I took two classes from him. I also did a few astronomy presentations over the years for the Boy Scout troupe that he leads and a few other groups that he's involved with.

Any thoughts on this? Is this too academic, or is it okay because I did a balance of things with all three professors? They've all known me for almost a decade now, and I had the same three profs write me letters for both my master's and my PhD applications, so I know that they will write really good recommendations for me, because they're one of the main reasons that I got into my grad programs.

I think that when people say "non-academic reference" it's just so that your 3 letters have a balance and are not all about the grades you got at school (since they can see your transcript/GPA). If the prof(s) can write about your non-academic (as well as your academic) qualities, I would think it would be fine.

In my opinion, the key is to get 3 strong letters, rather than focusing on getting one academic, one non-academic, and one research. Plus, I believe that OMSAS doesn't really have any guidelines in terms of who writes the letters (other schools might) so you should be fine.

I think you will be fine, and if Prof A is who I think he is, then he will comment not only on your academic abilities, but on your personal qualities as well. Provide each with a copy of your updated resume and offer to have lunch with them if they want to ask you any questions.

Good luck Astrogirl :) And poo...thanks for reminding me it's time to hunt down refs again.

Edit: I'm on the other side of the coin, btw...got a lot of non-academic refs who would be great and very few academic profs--none of them know me! They're all online!

Okay good. Thanks! :)

Cnussey - prof A is actually not who you think it is, but is someone who's a lot like him. There are some freakish similarities between the two of them. But that was another big dilemma - he's only known me for three years, but these other three have known me for a lot longer and I've worked with them in more different capacities, so they have more to say about me.

Okay good. Thanks! :)

Cnussey - prof A is actually not who you think it is, but is someone who's a lot like him. There are some freakish similarities between the two of them. But that was another big dilemma - he's only known me for three years, but these other three have known me for a lot longer and I've worked with them in more different capacities, so they have more to say about me.

Lol--really? Omg. I can't imagine two of him! Oh dear.

Sometimes less is more!!! I wouldn't worry about it.

My strongest reference was an overlap between academic and person. She knew I was a great student (produced a publishable paper in 2nd year), and I've worked with/for her for the past 4 or so years and I've worked with her kids for the past 1 year. So she wrote me a huge letter covering my academic and personal abilities

Archived