Premed 101 Forums

Medicine after MBA?

Hi all,

I've been following mature students' questions and stories for awhile and was hoping I can get some opinion on my dilemma as well.

Like many others around, I am also considering applying to med school even though I have a solid life and a successful career in the healthcare administration field. In my late 20s I can never forget my childhood dream of becoming a doctor. I don't want to be 60 and regret that I never even applied. I will really appreciate any comments/insights/advice as to how to optimize my chances of reaching my dream.

Here are some more details: I have an undergrad with all required pre-med courses, lots of volunteer work, work experience, leadership track, travel across the world. Unfortunately, due to some very significant family circumstances my undergrad GPA was not strong enough (3.36) and life just did not allow me the opportunity to even apply to med school back when all of my friends were getting in.

A few years later, I'm finally on my feet and life is going pretty well. I'm just finishing my MBA (Masters of Business Admin) at a top Canadian university. My MBA GPA is not that amazing (I'm at 3.7 or so), but because my program is pretty tough I actually made the Dean's list (top 5% of my class). I love my career and have great prospects for fast-tracking through the ladder. And with an MBA next to my name, everyone is telling me I am going places.

I'm not married, no children, not planning on having children in the next 5 years (even though I definitely will have children some day), I have an enormous mortgage and student loan to pay.

I know I will have to write the MCAT (hopefully next summer), but I don't know if I need to take extra courses to improve my GPA, if I need even more volunteer work, if I need clinical research experience, etc. And with an MBA, I am surely not the traditional type of applicant.

Thank you again for your comments!

Well, your undergrad GPA is better than mine, and I'm applying! Check out in detail the sticky at the top of this section about specific schools' policies for grad students - they all consider your grad school grades differently (some not at all), so that should help you find good places to apply to. If by any chance you are in-province for Alberta, you should definitely apply to the UofC! Good luck!

Thanks astrogirl. I read the sticky on grad schools, very helpful. I'd like to find out if admissions consider MBA anything different from all other masters, because MBA is considered a professional degree. I think I'll contact the med schools directly to inquire about this. Thanks!

Hi there,

Where are you in Canada? I am currently completing my MBA and thinking about pursuing Medicine after.

My undergrad is in commerce. I have been a professional in the business field for over 6 years. I'm married with a baby. This new venture of mine is going to be tough but I believe I can do it. I am going to take a year or two off work to do my science classes (yes, with a bunch of 18 year-old!) and then apply. I'm lucky in the fact that my husband and family are really supportive. My EC's are great and GPA is decent. Now to work on science pre-reqs!

Is anyone else out there? :) Any commerce people in medicine?? :)

Thanks.

Mi

Archived