Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

i just had a question regarding how western looks at a fifth year? Would the best two years still apply? What if i graduate, and come back for a visiting year who would that work? If anyone can please, also share how queens views fifth years, in terms of GPA calculation.

cheers,

Hi,

i just had a question regarding how western looks at a fifth year? Would the best two years still apply? What if i graduate, and come back for a visiting year who would that work? If anyone can please, also share how queens views fifth years, in terms of GPA calculation.

cheers,

sure! yes the best two year rule still applies and yes you can graduate and come back and do one year. However there are rules - only one year will count (the so called special year) and that year cannot have any first year courses and no second year courses that don't have a first year prereq. The full rules are available on the schulich website.

So anyway be careful and follow the rules and you will be fine! :)

Have you already graduated? If not, it is (IMHO) easier to complete the 5th year before graduating than afterwards. I am taking a 5th year solely for Western, as I do not two full time years (high school IB credit made it unnecessary), and although I toyed with the idea of graduating in four years and adding the 5th year afterwards the restrictions Western places on the special year would have been very difficult for me to accommodate. :)

As rmorelan said, definitely be careful and do your research first!

Hi Claire_tea,

sorry for the late post, i plan on delaying my graduation for a year. Would that make a difference, in terms of course choices (i.e no first year courses etc)?

cheers,

It would actually - you can have first year courses in your 5th year if it is not a special year (senior course limits still do apply though) :)

Archived