Premed 101 Forums

The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

tooty

um, no. the whole point is to win while playing nice. i would rather see a team lose after putting up a great game than see a team desperately trying too hard to win
lol. Do you play competitive sports? A win is a win. Winners don't think about how they won, playing nice or not. In sports, the ends justify the means.

I'm not saying that this is the right way of thinking, and in a perfect world, everyone would play with respect. But you're the fan. It's easy to say that, as an observer, you would like to see "a team lose after putting up a great game." As a player in a major competition, you just want the win regardless of how you played the game.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol. Do you play competitive sports? A win is a win. Winners don't think about how they won, playing nice or not. In sports, the ends justify the means.

I'm not saying that this is the right way of thinking, and in a perfect world, everyone would play with respect. But you're the fan. It's easy to say that, as an observer, you would like to see "a team lose after putting up a great game." As a player in a major competition, you just want the win regardless of how you played the game.

I agree that a lot of players probably weren't thinking of good sportsmanship even though we as an audience may think it's really important.

What was silly and reckless was that players put their team at risk by continually receiving a whole SLEW of yellow cards. The dutch could have easily been down to 8 or 9 players in their game - destroying any chance they had at winning.

Do you play competitive sports? A win is a win. Winners don't think about how they won, playing nice or not. In sports, the ends justify the means.

I'm not saying that this is the right way of thinking, and in a perfect world, everyone would play with respect...... As a player in a major competition, you just want the win regardless of how you played the game.

I thought you were talking about the practice of law, especially in court. :)

i do play a competitive sport and i do care about how i won if i win. my philosophy is that i would rather lose like a winner than win like a loser. perhaps thats why i haven't gone far in my sport but it really doesnt matter to me

anyways, i do realize that soccer is not very similar to racquetball and you may be right. i am dropping this discussion now

cheers

I agree. especially for us watching at home, we rather see a nice game rather than a dirty one. Whenever a teams wins a game in a beautiful manner it's much more entertaining and has more value.

just ask uruguay, who in a parallel, perfect, universe, lost to ghana in the final minute. i thought that game was just bs, if i was a ref and i could i would just give the goal to ghana, screw the penalty shot.

the dutch just played hard, they knew what they had to do to win and did it, unfortunately they didn't capitalize on their chances, besides, the spanish were diving all over the place. like it or not but teams like the old school philly flyers won because they intimidated the hell out of anyone they played.

watching a game i wanna see my team win clean, but i agree, but when im playing, i can be one of the roughest players on the ice/field, and while i don't try to injure, i do try and hurt people (legally of course, and without intent to injure), it gives your team a huge psychological advantage, really it's a great strategy! it's not much different than watching the old school minnesota wild play the most boring ass hockey in history, bottom line is that they were a talentless team that somehow won, it may be boring or distasteful for the fans but for the players it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to snag a world cup.

yeah it's different in soccer/hockey/football/basketball... just look at basketball you strategically foul to take away sure shots and hope the guy misses.

i do play a competitive sport and i do care about how i won if i win. my philosophy is that i would rather lose like a winner than win like a loser. perhaps thats why i haven't gone far in my sport but it really doesnt matter to me

anyways, i do realize that soccer is not very similar to racquetball and you may be right. i am dropping this discussion now

cheers

I agree that a lot of players probably weren't thinking of good sportsmanship even though we as an audience may think it's really important.

What was silly and reckless was that players put their team at risk by continually receiving a whole SLEW of yellow cards. The dutch could have easily been down to 8 or 9 players in their game - destroying any chance they had at winning.

I agree. Holland should have played a smarter (read: less yellow card action) game.

cheers

Glad to hear it (seriously)! It's a great philosophy to have. And I hope I didn't offend you or anything. That wasn't my intention. I'm sure we can both agree that in the end, the team the played the better/smarter game in the finals won. :)

Archived