Premed 101 Forums

3rd year pharmacology

Hi, I am going to be registering for courses in 3rd year pharmacology program soon so I was wondering if those who have been through 3rd year pharmacology can help me answer the following questions?

when did you take PHYL301? is it better to take it in 4th year since 3rd year is already so loaded?

What do you think are good electives that will satisfy the upper level requirement of 300+ level courses?

would you advise taking BIOC 302 or BIOC 303?

For U of T, if I take PCTH 300, PCTH 302, BIOC 301, BIOC 302, and a 3 credit elective this fall semsester, will that count as full course load and hence qualify me for the weighting formula? Even though its (technically) only 12 credits? (because PCTH 302 and BIOC 301 run both terms but are only 3.0 credits each)

thanks!

Hi, I am going to be registering for courses in 3rd year pharmacology program soon so I was wondering if those who have been through 3rd year pharmacology can help me answer the following questions?

when did you take PHYL301? is it better to take it in 4th year since 3rd year is already so loaded?

You have to take it in 3rd year.

What do you think are good electives that will satisfy the upper level requirement of 300+ level courses?

Do courses that you are good at. CLST 301 is a common course that is known as an easy upper level elective. However, according to people who took it, it's not that easy anymore.

would you advise taking BIOC 302 or BIOC 303?

Depends if you like biochem or not.

For U of T, if I take PCTH 300, PCTH 302, BIOC 301, BIOC 302, and a 3 credit elective this fall semsester, will that count as full course load and hence qualify me for the weighting formula? Even though its (technically) only 12 credits? (because PCTH 302 and BIOC 301 run both terms but are only 3.0 credits each)

That won't qualify as a full course load. You'll have to take PHYl 301 to be considered a full course load.

Also, it is looked down upon to go on to med school after 3rd year in pharmacology. If you are planning on doing so, I recommend you join a different major.

Also, it is looked down upon to go on to med school after 3rd year in pharmacology. If you are planning on doing so, I recommend you join a different major.

Thanks for the reply SpringDrive. Is it really a very very bad idea? do the profs get biased towards you if they find out you plan on medicine?

@advair250: I am in regular; i must take PHYL 301 for sure but i was thinking that i have the option to postpone it till fourth year

Without looking too deep into it, my logic would state that they would be pretty pissed when the class size drops from 3rd year to 4th year. That's funding lost on education for those 3rd years and money lost from them not paying for 4th year tuition. But at the same time, i think they are increasing the number of seats in pharmacology next year, probably to compensate for that?

Not sure, but if its what you want to do, no one can stop you..they can't read your mind lol. But there are many much easier degrees, with better prospects that will still get you to medicine. -2cents

I seem to recall that you have to take PHYL 301 in third year. Honestly it wasn't so bad - you get used to writing lab reports all the time =)

I think they don't like you applying to med school after 3rd year because then they lose all their students if a lot of them get in (that's happened in the past, when they lost half their class to med school). So if you want to apply, choose a different program.

its strange because when at the interview for the program, i asked do i have to make any agreement to stay in the program for both 3rd and 4th years, i was told there is no such agreement.

i am thinking of using this application cycle to get a feel for the application process. i am very pessimistic about getting accepted anytime soon so i will stay in the program for its full duration anyways...

I know of at least 6(5 + you) people going into pharmacology this year, and all of them are doing the mcat this summer / applying as 3rd years. So you aren't alone, just do what you gotta do. 2 of the ones I know, should be shoe-ins as degree applicants, not so sure about 3rd year applicants.

Thanks for the reply SpringDrive. Is it really a very very bad idea? do the profs get biased towards you if they find out you plan on medicine?

@advair250: I am in regular; i must take PHYL 301 for sure but i was thinking that i have the option to postpone it till fourth year

You can't take PHYL 301 in 4th year because the time overlaps with PCTH 400.

Back when I interviewed with Dr Karim, he specifically asked me if I will be applying to medicine and explained he didn't like people going off to med school without finishing their degrees.

However, according to you I guess they changed their policy now so you should be okay.

Also, I don't really know why pharmacology is so popular among premeds? Maybe the high entrance average and exclusivity attracts high achieving students? Pharmacology is not really a good major to go into if you are 100% set on medicine.

You can't take PHYL 301 in 4th year because the time overlaps with PCTH 400.

Back when I interviewed with Dr Karim, he specifically asked me if I will be applying to medicine and explained he didn't like people going off to med school without finishing their degrees.

However, according to you I guess they changed their policy now so you should be okay.

Also, I don't really know why pharmacology is so popular among premeds? Maybe the high entrance average and exclusivity attracts high achieving students? Pharmacology is not really a good major to go into if you are 100% set on medicine.

you know whats really strange is that my friend also interviewed for pharmacology and she said she did have to make the agreement to stay for the full duration of the program... i am still confused about that :confused:

They ask that you don't leave the program until you finish. Basically they make you "swear" an oral agreement that you won't leave. However, there's nothing they can do to really prevent you from leaving.

My advice is if you want to go into medicine 3rd year, don't go to Pharmacology, try Physiology or something.

Archived