Premed 101 Forums

Are we getting some sort of package?

Guest p0stman

It will be sent via email (it was last year).

Edit: T'was sent July 28th for us last year, but it could certainly be different for you guys this year. The email package contained stuff like an orientation handbook, a checklist of stuff to bring to Registration (whitecoat day), and a letter from the wonderful Student Support Team.

Tree-friendly, but not as fun.

True, but all harder to actually lose.

The hard part was actually convincing initially the banks that I was going to be a med student with only an email from western. I still can't believe they gave me a LOC with only that :)

True, but all harder to actually lose.

The hard part was actually convincing initially the banks that I was going to be a med student with only an email from western. I still can't believe they gave me a LOC with only that :)

Hmmm...that could be a problem.

Hmmm...that could be a problem.

Definitely not a problem. I recall that banks were itching to throw money at me once I got the Western package. It was ludicrous. The bank suggested I take a prime + 1% rate and I mentioned that the upper years were reporting rates at prime. They then told me they magically found an old LOC application which would give me the same rate as the upper years.

Moral of the story: don't accept anything over prime for your LOC.

Definitely not a problem. I recall that banks were itching to throw money at me once I got the Western package. It was ludicrous. The bank suggested I take a prime + 1% rate and I mentioned that the upper years were reporting rates at prime. They then told me they magically found an old LOC application which would give me the same rate as the upper years.

Moral of the story: don't accept anything over prime for your LOC.

Getting the LOC wasn't really the issue - proving I was actually a med student with no physical letter was the interesting part. Last year was the first year where western didn't send one out so it caught a few bank people of guard and I suppose talking to them in mid May made me one of the first people to inquire about such things :)

Getting the LOC wasn't really the issue - proving I was actually a med student with no physical letter was the interesting part. Last year was the first year where western didn't send one out so it caught a few bank people of guard and I suppose talking to them in mid May made me one of the first people to inquire about such things :)

rmorelan, guinea pig.

Quite a trivial matter but I would just like to point out the stupidity of Western's WesternONE card. I attended Western and first received my student card in 2003. I look like an angst ridden teenager wearing a terrible white t-shirt, a mop of a haircut and a sullen look. I contacted student services to see if I could get an updated student card seeing as I look absolutely nothing like my photo seeing as it is coming up on a decade out of date and they say no, at least not without buying a new one for $25.

Seems kind of silly.

Quite a trivial matter but I would just like to point out the stupidity of Western's WesternONE card. I attended Western and first received my student card in 2003. I look like an angst ridden teenager wearing a terrible white t-shirt, a mop of a haircut and a sullen look. I contacted student services to see if I could get an updated student card seeing as I look absolutely nothing like my photo seeing as it is coming up on a decade out of date and they say no, at least not without buying a new one for $25.

Seems kind of silly.

Suprising to hear that. I had my card redone in the middle of undergrad as I lost a fair bit of weight throughout those years. UWO replaces student cards that are no longer working free of charge as long as it was damaged by wear and tear (not a washing machine, etc.). If you had to get your card replaced that way they would probably retake the picture for you as well.

Suprising to hear that. I had my card redone in the middle of undergrad as I lost a fair bit of weight throughout those years. UWO replaces student cards that are no longer working free of charge as long as it was damaged by wear and tear (not a washing machine, etc.). If you had to get your card replaced that way they would probably retake the picture for you as well.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. You know, run it along an MRI or something like that to demagnetize it.

Guest p0stman
do students from the Windsor campus get a student card from Western AND Windsor? How is this coordinated?

Yes, we get both a UWO and a Windsor card and we get full amenities and services at both universities.

do students from the Windsor campus get a student card from Western AND Windsor? How is this coordinated?

As postman just said, we do get both. Our Windsor cards will be slightly different the UWindsor students as they will also contain the chip that lets us into the "Schulich half" of the Medical Education Building.

We will get our Western cards during the beginning of O-week, ie. after White Coat Ceremony and our Windsor cards upon returning to Windsor, of course. I was there yesterday talking to the really great admin staff "(seriously, they are so welcoming and friendly, it made me so pumped to be there in Sept!!), and they said they hadn't quite worked out whether we get our cards the week classes start or the week after (just due to Orientation week events), but either way, it'd be very close the beginning of the school year.

Archived