Premed 101 Forums

Meds 2014 O-Week

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think ponaem is saying he wants the tuition amount to show up on Student Center? Because I want that to happen too, just so I get a good feeling from paying it off lol :P

In other news, I dug up last year's o-week thread:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35501

It was Super Mario themed last year... the details leaked mid-late July. I wonder what it will be this year?

I think ponaem is saying he wants the tuition amount to show up on Student Center? Because I want that to happen too, just so I get a good feeling from paying it off lol :P

It was Super Mario themed last year... the details leaked mid-late July. I wonder what it will be this year?

well I hope then it appears soon if paying 13500 dollars or so gives you a good feeling :)

I think the info about the O Week will appear at some point around then. Plans are more than well underway!

Wow, dental students get slammed. The first 2 years of their program costs as much as an MD then more than 50k for the final two years.

Ya, the 50K/year is for dentists who have trained overseas wanting to be certified in Canada. Even the regular students pay ~10K/year more than med students. We are very lucky!

Ya, the 50K/year is for dentists who have trained overseas wanting to be certified in Canada. Even the regular students pay ~10K/year more than med students. We are very lucky!

To be fair, a good chunk of their price comes in the way of dental equipment that they get. It would be like training to be a family doctor and your med degree furnishing your clinic with medical supplies.

Why would you want to pay your tuition as soon as possible? With that much money, you should wait until the last possible day so you can milk it for interest. :) Or rather, if it's coming out of your LoC, you'll the save interest you that would have had to pay.

Why would you want to pay your tuition as soon as possible? With that much money, you should wait until the last possible day so you can milk it for interest. :) Or rather, if it's coming out of your LoC, you'll the save interest you that would have had to pay.

yup - First rule of cash flow, never pay anything until not doing so puts you at some disadvantage. Not that the interest rate at this point is really all that high :)

is O-week mandatory for 1st year med students? What types of activities are done? Is it similar to undergrad O-week?

Some activities are considered mandatory (like the white coat ceremony) but most activities are optional. Of course the activities are fun regardless of whether they are required :)

yea, I was wondering when the amount shows up on student center website. I guess it does not show up for anyone at the moment right?

yea, I was wondering when the amount shows up on student center website. I guess it does not show up for anyone at the moment right?

The e-mail from meds admissions a few weeks ago suggested that this normally goes live around mid-July.

The e-mail from meds admissions a few weeks ago suggested that this normally goes live around mid-July.

That is about when it arrived last year as well. The deadline for paying is not that much past that actually - and there is very large fine if you miss it (ie hundred dollars) - so don't miss it :)

Should we be worried if we haven't been getting any of these follow-up emails? All I've received so far was the first offer of admission email.

Nope! I posted a while back saying that I called them up about not getting any additional emails. They said that the student center/access codes are handled by the Registrar's Office (outside the admission office's domain). They are just sending the emails as they get the information from the UWO's registrar.

On a side note, are you a UWO student already mphem? I'm guessing you did your undergraduate degree here at UWO.

Nope! I posted a while back saying that I called them up about not getting any additional emails. They said that the student center/access codes are handled by the Registrar's Office (outside the admission office's domain). They are just sending the emails as they get the information from the UWO's registrar.

On a side note, are you a UWO student already mphem? I'm guessing you did your undergraduate degree here at UWO.

Thanks for the info!

Regarding your question: Nope, I didn't do my undergrad at UWO. I did it at Queen's, actually. What made you think I was from Western?

Archived