Premed 101 Forums

What does everybody do for food at UWO? Do you have any time to cook breakfast and dinner, pack a lunch, or would it be a good idea to get a meal plan?

This all depends on your level of motivation and skill.

Some people cook every day and pack their lunches; others buy campus food all the time. Most are somewhere in between.

The "Flex Plan" meal plan seems quite popular. You can put money on your student card (minimum $20) and get a 5% discount on every purchase at campus eateries (Subway, Teriyaki, Tim's, etc.). It's pretty convenient.

My personal take on UWO's food is that it isn't great. The prices are higher than off-campus for things like Subway so that they can compete with the inflated prices of UWOs food services. There is some diversity: Subway, Harvey's, Pizza Pizza, Pita Pit, Teriyaki, but on the whole, it's pretty expensive to eat at every day.

If you could make your own food I would suggest it. Sometimes making an extra portion of dinner can go a long way to putting together a lunch.

This all depends on your level of motivation and skill.

Some people cook every day and pack their lunches; others buy campus food all the time. Most are somewhere in between.

and some eat 5 dollar subway subs every single day frankly I was amazed on how long they could keep that up :)

Windsor has some great spots down Wyandotte. There is a Shawarma place 4 blocks east, on Wyandotte, a lebanese place (Ali Baba's) on the south end of campus that makes some decent food as well. There are 5-7 chinese, thai and japanese restaurants west of the campus on Wyandotte. My personal favorites are Hoi sushi, and Pho Xic Lo's. Other than that there's a subway and harveys 2 minutes from campus as well as a Mc Donalds 5 minutes away. Campus food sucks though...over prices and limited in choice.

Anybody interested in sharing recipes? I've got a few high-yield dishes, mostly stews, that I cycle between every week. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours preparation, but then it's good for 4 or 5 meals. Is there a microwave in the med building where we can heat up our lunches?

Anybody interested in sharing recipes? I've got a few high-yield dishes, mostly stews, that I cycle between every week. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours preparation, but then it's good for 4 or 5 meals. Is there a microwave in the med building where we can heat up our lunches?

is there a microwave....hehehehe. There is an entire lounge with a pool table, two fridges, three microwaves, 50 inch TV with cable, couches, sink, hot plate and expresso machine........

Welcome to med school :)

A slow cooker is one of the best investments you can make if you're planning to cook at home. You can pre-slice vegetables and meats the night before, throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning, and come home at night to the smells of a delicious dinner.

And always be sure to make leftovers for lunch the next day!

did this already happen or is it in the works? from what I gathered from hippo members that this hasn't taken place yet.

the podcast project is not a hippo project - it is solely run by the class of 2013 on our server and with our software. It is so new it doesn't fit into any of the hippo structures right now, and if things go well there is no point making it a hippo project as the admins will be taking it over (phase 10, which for the record is the final phase :) )

We did raise some money that we hope to improve things with - the louge is one of those things

Archived