Premed 101 Forums

So when are you submitting?

Hello All,

So you know that email we got from UBC with a request about sending in our applications on the 15th of Aug instead of Sept 1, anyone going to do it or are you all waiting on Sept 1?

I think I will submit early, I'm pretty much done so there isn't much point in waiting.....

I know there is no advantage but I just thought I would put it out there.

Finks

I put

-4 leadership

-3 Capacity to Work with others

-3 Service Ethic

-9 Diversity

In both categories that I only have 3 things in, I have really long-term activities that I think I will score big on, that's why I have less. I'm also a 3rd year applicant so I probably have less than most people :(

Still waiting Finks ? I hope you get in !! have they updated you on anything ?

I would wait until closer to Sept 1 to submit, b/c what if you submit early and then get in off the WL ? they won't refund your application fee (well at least I think they won't). At least last year they reduced the fee if you submitted early. This year there is no real incentive -all supporting documents/transcripts are pretty much updated regularly. Just my two cents.

Anywho, I was released from the WL back in June and will probably wait until closer to the deadline, just so i have more time to tinker with the app...and drive myself crazy with trying to max out the categories...lol

Still waiting Finks ? I hope you get in !! have they updated you on anything ?

I would wait until closer to Sept 1 to submit, b/c what if you submit early and then get in off the WL ? they won't refund your application fee (well at least I think they won't). At least last year they reduced the fee if you submitted early. This year there is no real incentive -all supporting documents/transcripts are pretty much updated regularly. Just my two cents.

Anywho, I was released from the WL back in June and will probably wait until closer to the deadline, just so i have more time to tinker with the app...and drive myself crazy with trying to max out the categories...lol

im submitting last minute. no extra points for submitting it early oh well.

Wellington - I'm in your shoes too (no pun intended)!

Also, somehow I managed to more than max out my character count this year (always had 200-300 remaining in other applications), so I'm trying to figure out how to best balance characters for descriptions!

I put

-4 leadership

-3 Capacity to Work with others

-3 Service Ethic

-9 Diversity

In both categories that I only have 3 things in, I have really long-term activities that I think I will score big on, that's why I have less. I'm also a 3rd year applicant so I probably have less than most people :(

So far:

- 6 leadership

- 3 Capacity

- 3 Service

- 9 Diversity

- 2 High Human Endeavors

- 6 Employments

I'm 23 so .. somewhat older than average? But I'd say about 40-50% of my application is long term (>2 years), the rest is pretty recent (<2 years).

You are allowed to use 7,500 characters.

You have 1,221 characters remaining.

There are a few small things I can toss in here and there.. but don't know if it will have any effect on my application at all....

So far:

- 6 leadership

- 3 Capacity

- 3 Service

- 9 Diversity

- 2 High Human Endeavors

- 6 Employments

[/Quote]

I'm 23 as well, been through the application process twice before and definitely don't want to do it again.

I have:

- 5 leadership

- 7 Capacity

- 7 Service

- 8 Diversity

- 5 High Human endeavors

- 12 Employments

I'm worried that I have too much on my application and I'm diluting myself. I feel like this because of my NAQ score from last year ~17 (comparing it to friends who had way less hours and got significantly higher NAQ). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many of my activities represent significant (>500 hours, 2-7 years) time involvement and leadership/responsibility. They're all post high school (with the exception of 2 awards from high school I put in high performance instead of academic awards section because I ran out of space).

If anyone would like to offer insight, please post or PM me!

@mlbn - I released my MCAT scores on Aug. 5 and they were received today on the OAS. I agree with aquadon - maybe wait another week or so and give them a call.

@aquadon - I don't think that you're diluting yourself with having too many NAQ inputs. Last year I think I had about 5 characters left and right now I don't have any left. What I made sure of (both last year and this year) was to describe the activity as succintly as possible and add what I learned from it. I'm not saying that you didn't do that, but maybe that could be an area you could look at to expand a little more (based on what you said about some of your friends getting higher NAQ scores)....pun was jokes by the way ...lol

Archived