Premed 101 Forums

Also keep in mind they're revamping the AQ system this year, so the 85% = 25 might be thrown out the window with their new scaling.

Yikes - I only thought that was a rumor. Now I'm worried! Do you mean they're going to push the scale up?

I'm hoping they don't make 90% the new 25/25.

Hey...I dont think it would matter if 90% was the new 25. Everyone will get scaled the same so the relative order will remain AND likely the score required for interview would go down if people get scaled down.

Also, since the AQ is based on last 60 and ogpa, then it is likely that it is the weighting of the two relative to eachother that is changing.

On the phone they told me that many people's AQ scores will go down, I am thinking (this is just guessing!!!) this is because many applicants have a higher last 60 credit average compared to ogpa and that UBC might be making ogpa worth more than it currently is thus lowering AQ scores.

Again, this likely isn't a big deal as they are applying this to everyone

According to admissions it's to better incorporate class averages from other schools so likely the UBC AQ scoring will remain the same but most other schools may notice a slight decrease.

I'm hoping they don't make 90% the new 25/25.

Sorry what do you mean by this?? can you explain a bit?

I dont think it would matter if 90% was the new 25. Everyone will get scaled the same so the relative order will remain AND likely the score required for interview would go down if people get scaled down.

The difference is that all those between 85% and 90% would push the rest of the group down - at least as far as I can deduce logically (my logic may be wrong).

Backpacker - Admissions said that UBC has a specific conversion system for each school's GPA (e.g. a 4.0 at Queen's may be equivalent to a 3.9 at UofT) based on some sort of weighted average system on how "hard" those schools are. This weighting system was being changed this year to reflect new information. That's about all I know!

The difference is that all those between 85% and 90% would push the rest of the group down - at least as far as I can deduce logically (my logic may be wrong).

Backpacker - Admissions said that UBC has a specific conversion system for each school's GPA (e.g. a 4.0 at Queen's may be equivalent to a 3.9 at UofT) based on some sort of weighted average system on how "hard" those schools are. This weighting system was being changed this year to reflect new information. That's about all I know!

OOO, so it might not affect anyone that much?? Which is very different then say having 90% be the new 25/25 AQ.

According to admissions it's to better incorporate class averages from other schools so likely the UBC AQ scoring will remain the same but most other schools may notice a slight decrease.

Did you actually hear someone say that other schools might go down? Because other schools (eg. UVic) are already penalized quite heavily.

Did you actually hear someone say that other schools might go down? Because other schools (eg. UVic) are already penalized quite heavily.

SFU is in a similar boat. Nobody I know that is applying or has applied had greater than a 3.8-3.9 cumulative GPA (and I don't know of anyone even having greater than a 4.00 cumulative, or >85%). As it stands now, 3.9 converts to around 83-84% which is basically average for accepted applicants. This is all anecdotal so who knows. If SFU AQ scores drop I don't know if I even stand a chance...

Oh well, can't do anything about it now.

Archived