Premed 101 Forums

No electives in specialty of interest!

UBCstu

Hi,

I have recently become very interested in peds but have NO electives set up in it as all along I was planning on family med/ IM. Is it worth a shot to still try and apply to Peds programs? From what I hear it's a pretty competitive specialty and there's not much on my CV that would make me stick out. And if I don't end up matching to it, how hard would it be to switch into it after 1 year of another residency??

Finally, does the school of residency have any bearing on landing fellowships? I noticed UofS often has vacant spots for pediatrics after the first iteration so I'd assume I'd have greater chance of landing a position there... but they don't offer many subspecialties, would doing residency at such a school limit my chances of a fellowship match elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to do it, it doesn`t hurt to apply - well, just to your bank account!

Try to visit schools you are interested in and meet with the program director just to talk if you can`t arrange an elective. Explain your situation, say that since you didn`t do an elective you would like the opportunity to ask some questions about the program etc.

Keep in mind also, that electives done after the carms deadline but before interview invites are out are also helpful. So if you can`t get precarms electives switched around, at least try and get some prior to interview invites. The programs can get to know you while they are sifting through your application.

I noticed you're at the UofM. How about your MSR and Surgery rotations? Were you in Peds gen surg or on a pediatric surgery selective of any sort? Were you on peds emerg during MSR? If you were maybe ask people for LORs. I'm into peds too and so I tried to squeeze some peds in that way (ie peds gen surg and peds emerg), so that's something. Also I arranged an elective at the UofA in two weeks flat from the time I submitted my paperwork to them and started my first day with them, so I know at least at that school they can arrange electives very quickly. Post CaRMs, pre interview electives do keep you fresh in the PD's mind so they're good that way. Best of luck!

To say that you won't get a good fellowship spot if you're at USask or UofM is so ignorant and simply wrong. There are great physicians and researchers at every university, not only at UofT, and in fact you are more likely to get an amazing reference letter from a physician from one of those schools because they have probably worked more closely with you and would know you better, given the small nature of the programs there. Residents from small programs at small universities time and time again get fellowships at Harvard, Mayo, etc.

Archived