Premed 101 Forums

Urgent advice needed - rewrite DAT for carving?

harry

As someone else said in a recent thread, the last day to register for the Nov DAT is tmrw so id really appreciate some quick advice.

My current DAT scores are decent (22AA 22 PAT), but my carving score is really poor (a 5.. lol). I am interested in applying for UBC (as well as other Canadian schools), but heard that UBC considers the carving score. My question is: to what extent do they look at carving? Is it a strict cut-off or just a minor factor in the admission process? My GPA is "decent" (high 3.8 OMSAS). I will not be very free the next few months (part time work and also taking some prereqs for US schools), so I want realistic advice on whether or not it'd be worth my time to retake.

Thanks a lot in advance!

http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/Education/DMD/EntranceStatistics/2009.asp

Hey you should check this out for UBC! If you really want to get into UBC, you'll probably have to rewrite solely for your carving score but honestly, other places really don't factor it in too much. Your other scores are rocking so you should be good for every other school!

Hope this helps.

As someone else said in a recent thread, the last day to register for the Nov DAT is tmrw so id really appreciate some quick advice.

My current DAT scores are decent (22AA 22 PAT), but my carving score is really poor (a 5.. lol). I am interested in applying for UBC (as well as other Canadian schools), but heard that UBC considers the carving score. My question is: to what extent do they look at carving? Is it a strict cut-off or just a minor factor in the admission process? My GPA is "decent" (high 3.8 OMSAS). I will not be very free the next few months (part time work and also taking some prereqs for US schools), so I want realistic advice on whether or not it'd be worth my time to retake.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I have pretty much the same problem :(

15 Carv, 21AA, 21PAT.

From what I've heard, UBC and U of A look at Carving substantially. Most other schools do not weigh as much emphasis on carving, and of course U of T and UWO don't consider carving at all.

What province are you from? This is the info I've accumulated, although i might be wrong...

toronto - no carving

western - no carving

mcgill - don't even consider your DAT anymore

manitoba - DAT, grades, interview all equal

dalhousie - need DAT all over 15

sask - considers carving

Don't forget, some schools will take your most recent score so if you're busy and screw up your DAT then...

Archived