Premed 101 Forums

MCAT score of 31

I just received my MCAT score of 31: 10VR, 10PS, 11BS (Q). Would it be worthwhile for me to apply to specific Ontario med schools for the 2011 cycle? I know 31 isn't an AMAZING score, but I am rather proud of having broken the 30s (my first MCAT score was a 29: 9VR, 10PS, 10BS), and believe that I may have a slight chance. I have a competitive undergrad GPA, and I am currently in my first year of an M.PH program. I have several volunteer, extracurricular and employment experiences, though I have no research experience.

I would LOVE opinions on whether it would be worthwhile for me to apply for the 2011 admission (and make it quick, because I don't have much time left lol). Thanks!!

Absolutely, throw your hat in the ring. Should you not apply, your chances are zero. There is Mac on the basis of acing Casper, U/T which uses the MCAT as a flag only, U/O and NOMS where MCAT is not considered, I don't know the cut-offs at the others. OOP, there is McGill, where MCAT is not a factor and you have the option of showing your MCAT or not, as you wish. Good luck!

Don't forget Western and Queens. Although you would not have made the cut-offs last year, the cut-offs change. It's definitely worth the application fee. Western is not likely (my opinion) to use a verbal 11 again.

I don't know if I agree that it's unlikely... It's pure speculation. It's a shame for students trying to figure out where they're competitive, but the reality is that schools can pick completely arbitrary cutoffs that exclude very qualified students, and their incoming class will still be filled with nothing but excellent candidates. If the 11 in VR helped western cut down the number of people they interview, I don't see why they wouldn't do it again...

I'd love to hear rmorelan's take on this though!

Hey havefaith,

Western does not allow students to apply to their med school if they won't complete their program by the next august. If you Masters is two years and you are only in your first, Western, sadly, isn't an option (I checked!)

But I would for sure apply to U of T, Queens, Ottawa, and Mac.

Hey,

I'm not sure if I can apply with this: 34Q - 12 / 8 / Q / 14

Verbal just destroyed me hahah. My gpa isn't really good so ottawa is out of the question. My gpa would work for western and possibly queens, U of T GPA is 3.86 but I know western is out of the question as well as queens. I've heard mixed opinions about U of T. Not sure

Does the verbal of 8 kill my chances for this year? I don't know if it is even worth it to apply this year.

Sucks but what can you do?

Thanks

Archived