Premed 101 Forums

chances?

• 2 weeks later...
Assuming you're applying anywhere else, its literally just a matter of ticking one extra box. Why not apply? Assuming you're non-SWOMEN, you're at least close.

Just curious, I'm not applying this year, so ticking the one extra box will still cost money doesn't it? I'm assuming it's just in reference to not needing to make an entirely new application for it.

I was also wondering if anyone here knew how they do cutoffs, I'm not from SW ontario, and unfortunately i got a 14/10/11 S, 10 in VR (i think last year, the cutoff was 11 for VR), but is it an absolute strict cutoff? For example, would they see an S in writing which might make up for the 10 in VR, and still consider my application, or immediately throw it out the window?

It will still cost money to apply to Western (I think it's $60 for each extra school? But don't quote me). But you don't have to do anything extra on OMSAS to apply (ie. an essay, short answer questions). So even though it's a bit of extra cash, it's worth it (in my opinion) just for the chance at interviewing at another school!

I don't think anyone (except the ad com) really knows how the cutoffs work, or why they are set to whatever they are each year. But they do fluctuate, so even though the cutoff for last cycle was 11 in VR, it could go back down, stay the same, or even go up (probably not though). I'd definitely apply and take the chance of it going back down to 10.

Unfortunately, UWO's cutoffs are pretty strict, so they won't consider your other sections to make up for one of your sections not meeting the cutoff for the year.

Just curious, I'm not applying this year, so ticking the one extra box will still cost money doesn't it? I'm assuming it's just in reference to not needing to make an entirely new application for it.

I was also wondering if anyone here knew how they do cutoffs, I'm not from SW ontario, and unfortunately i got a 14/10/11 S, 10 in VR (i think last year, the cutoff was 11 for VR), but is it an absolute strict cutoff? For example, would they see an S in writing which might make up for the 10 in VR, and still consider my application, or immediately throw it out the window?

Thanks for the info! It seems like although they say "cutoff", by reading the forums that they are trying to control the number of applicants they interview to an appropriate number they want, and the cutoffs are not predetermined, but rather based on that year's applicant pool.

It's just frustrating how Ontario residents get no special preference (unless from SW Ontario) when every other province does, yes although Ontario does have more medical schools, but then again..all the other province applicants may ALSO apply to Ontario schools sigh so they will have their own provincial med school..+ the 6 in Ontario! >_<

Look at it this way: if you apply and get in, the return on your investment for spending a little bit of money will be an extra year's income as an MD. Back-of-the-envelope suggests it would be on the order of 100,000% ROI.

Cut-offs are strict, and are set in January to winnow the applicant pool down to a number that can be reasonably interviewed (400-500).

This is true, it will cost more (less than $100) but imagine if you didn't apply and the verbal cutoff ended up being 10 and then went back up to 11 the following year.

As ploughboy and dr.horrible already pointed out - its a hard cutoff.

Thanks for the info! It seems like although they say "cutoff", by reading the forums that they are trying to control the number of applicants they interview to an appropriate number they want, and the cutoffs are not predetermined, but rather based on that year's applicant pool.

It's just frustrating how Ontario residents get no special preference (unless from SW Ontario) when every other province does, yes although Ontario does have more medical schools, but then again..all the other province applicants may ALSO apply to Ontario schools sigh so they will have their own provincial med school..+ the 6 in Ontario! >_<

I'm at U of T and this year we have 252 students. 32 of those are out of province. That makes OOP students 11-12% of the class - which is about how many OOP students most schools take. So while Ontario students may not get "preference" they certainly are the majority of students at the schools.

I'm at U of T and this year we have 252 students. 32 of those are out of province. That makes OOP students 11-12% of the class - which is about how many OOP students most schools take. So while Ontario students may not get "preference" they certainly are the majority of students at the schools.

Yes, BUT that's because Ontario is the most populated province. It is unfair, because some Ontario students don't get in to med schools but less qualified maritimers or albertans do. The alternative however is much more unfair: other schools remove provincial bias, and then get flooded with Ontario students who go back home to practice when they're done school... There really isn't a perfect system.

Yes, BUT that's because Ontario is the most populated province. It is unfair, because some Ontario students don't get in to med schools but less qualified maritimers or albertans do. The alternative however is much more unfair: other schools remove provincial bias, and then get flooded with Ontario students who go back home to practice when they're done school... There really isn't a perfect system.

Could be worse, BC has about 250 spots for a province with 5 million people.

Probably not due to institutional preference, rather selectional bias from applicants.

I could also venture to guess that successful Ontario applicants have, on average, the best stats in Canada.

Basically, being an Ontario born and raised applicant sucks.

Probably not due to institutional preference, rather selectional bias from applicants.

I could also venture to guess that successful Ontario applicants have, on average, the best stats in Canada.

Basically, being an Ontario born and raised applicant sucks.

Agreed.

Unless you're SWOMEN, from a rural area or went to high school in Ottawa.

- Lupe

Could be worse, BC has about 250 spots for a province with 5 million people.

Hey Danielle! Used to be much worse when BC, with 4.4 million people then, only had 120 spots for the whole province. Nonetheless, I didnt' get in when I applied with 250 spots.

BC is different than Ontario though. Almost all the spots are devoted to BC applicants. Most Ontario spots are not devoted to them - though if a BC person could get into both UBC and Toronto (or another ontario school) - they would usually pick UBC to save money.

Being born in the GTA is probably the worst place in N America to get into a medical school. No preference anywhere really. Used to be worse when MAC used to give 60-70% of all spots to only MAC undergrads (or nearby universities), OR residents of the Hamilton area. This was in an era with no MCAT AND low GPA requirements AND no prereqs AND no exams - the era when some literal complete fools who happened to do an undergrad at MAC, and would not have got into an advanced nursing program, got admitted and graduated from the medical program (yes - controversial to say - thankfully not true anymore as MAC has high GPA requirements, exams during training, and an MCAT requirement).

Archived