Premed 101 Forums

UofT Personal Statement- advice?

Hey All,

I posted this somewhere else, but received no response, so here goes:

After some thought, I have decided to apply to medicine while still completing my Physical Therapy degree (meaning, if I got in, I would leave the program half way). I called around and made sure that schools were ok with it.

I'm now writing U of T's essay, and I'm wondering whether or not I should mention the fact that I got into PT and what I have learned from it so far.

Thoughts??? I'm just not sure if mentioning it is appropriate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, it helped you in your journey that leads to med. Moreover, they will know from your transcript, so there is little value of making it the elephany in the room. You learned from it as part of your academic travels and appears to have become important for your development. Deal with it. I would think it would be inappropriate not to mention it. The question is whether to put any emphasis on it or it is just part of your story.

I'll send you by PM some material that might help for the essay.

http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/the-application-the-essay/#comments

If you scroll through the comments of "The Essay" post, someone asks if it's ok to switch out of pharmacy and into meds. The reply was that it is and that "You should address the career shift in your application essay."

I think the same response applies to your situation - you should mention PT (your transcript will show you're in the program anyways) and maybe elaborate on what you learned/why you want to pursue med school instead.

Good luck :)

If in the application, you need to show current courses, then do so.

You need to be entirely comfortable with the potential switch, it is normal and there is nothing to hide. And you need to b e comfortable and transparent at theinterview, otherwise, your body lannguage would indicate there is an undisclosed probem which wuld only work against you.

I would list it in your application.

Let's say things go well (hopefully they do!), you get an interview next year and are asked what you've been up to since graduation - it'd be a lie if you said you weren't in PT and would raise more questions if you mention your current program but didn't list it on your application.

If they say it's ok to switch out of the program, I'd like to think they're not going to take points away from you for being honest.

Thanks guys! I looked it up on OMSAS and it says if you just entered a Master's, then proof of registration is required. So I'll get that as soon as I can.

Is it weird that I'm nervous to ask my department? My whole class seems so against people applying to medical school and leaving PT halfway...or it might just be me! But even if it isn't, I won't let it stop me =).

Thanks guys! I looked it up on OMSAS and it says if you just entered a Master's, then proof of registration is required. So I'll get that as soon as I can.

Is it weird that I'm nervous to ask my department? My whole class seems so against people applying to medical school and leaving PT halfway...or it might just be me! But even if it isn't, I won't let it stop me =).

When it comes to Masters, profs and departments don't like students leaving before completing the degree because the prof invests in the student and leaving is very poor etiquette unless the prof is informed about the possibility when hiring. I'm not sure what PT is but if it's a graduate degree with a person orientated selection process, I can see why people would object to students quitting to pursue medical school.

Hey Leon,

it is a course-based Master's, so I do not have a supervisor. Its just a tight-knit class and program in general.

Ah well, in that case there shouldn't be much of a problem. As long as no one invested in you, it should be all right to leave for other opportunities. I'd see this as no different from entering meds in 3rd year without completing your undergrad

I wouldn't be surprised if you feel some tension from others. You might not have a supervisor but they've still invested time in your studies and in a sense, you've taken a seat away from someone else who might have been fully committed to the program (I feel like most grad programs involve a degree of competition).

At the same time, I don't think they will/could refuse to provide the proof of registration - it's your choice to leave.

Archived