Premed 101 Forums

I need your suggestions. . .

zunik

Alrighty, so I am currently an undergraduate science 4th year student. I would like to know if I don't get in to UBC med next year, then what path should I take?

I want to do graduate studies but the problem is I have to finish my thesis

(2 years min) before getting in!

What other ideal options can you suggest from experience?

*Repost

Keep in mind too that you could apply halfway through your MSc, and have your thesis done by the time you start med... So you could potentially only miss one application cycle.

The masters might come in handy down the road if you want to do a CIP, or work in an academic centre, and you might really enjoy it!

If you already know you don't like research though, don't just do it for the sake of doing it though...

Don't do a graduate degree if you don't want to do graduate studies.

The obtaining of graduate degrees is a very tedious process that, for the most part, will not be useful to you if you are ever admitted to medicine.

Plus, getting a grad degree will not guarantee a spot in medical school. I don't know if it even increases your marketability. Most people who go to med school don't have a grad degree.

My suggestion would be to do a grad degree if you want to do it. If not, try other things in life. Travel. Start a business. Learn how to cage fight. Do something interesting to you. Don't just fit yourself in with the 3rd rounders who all got master's degrees to pass the time.

Yes I agree. Most thesis based grad degrees are pretty useless unless you are planning for a career in academia. I have friends who just continue schooling by getting non-professional masters degrees who end up working at low level jobs at Costco.

If you are hell bent on a grad degree, I suggest a professional type degree (MBA, JD/LLB, MPH, etc.). The MPH degree is probably the most useful to medicine as you will have opportunities to do meaningful research that can get you published. It is a reasonable fall back because as a professional degree, you have some skills that employers in the health field look for. Also, the epi skills you gain in that degree will come in very useful for med school and subsequently if you decide to do any sort of clinical research

Don't do a graduate degree if you don't want to do graduate studies.

The obtaining of graduate degrees is a very tedious process that, for the most part, will not be useful to you if you are ever admitted to medicine.

Plus, getting a grad degree will not guarantee a spot in medical school. I don't know if it even increases your marketability. Most people who go to med school don't have a grad degree.

My suggestion would be to do a grad degree if you want to do it. If not, try other things in life. Travel. Start a business. Learn how to cage fight. Do something interesting to you. Don't just fit yourself in with the 3rd rounders who all got master's degrees to pass the time.

Thank you for your suggestions. My priorities are med school of course and grad school would come second. I don't want to waste my time with thesis and delay my med school application.

I have never heard of 1 year grad programs... insights?

masters of biotech is a 1 year course based masters at uofc. should suit you well if you don't get in because it sets you up to work for biotech and pharm companies after you graduate. it even includes time for a little internship.

Archived