Premed 101 Forums

Genius Advice???

Jokur23

Hey everyone!

I am really stuck on an issue and I don't want to have the typical "What are my chances thread". I just want to get some advice on what options I have left to get into medical school.

First of all, I got 3.94 GPA in my first year. Which was great but here comes the sticky situation.

In my second year, I got 0 in one course and 50 on another and 75 on a third. This is due to an extreme personal trauma i won't get into here. The point is, my second year has a GPA of 1.xx HOWEVER, i was not a full-time student in 2nd year.

So......I'm really depressed about this and am starting my third year.

I am begging for any and all advice that could be useful. For example, any schools you think I may have a shot at. Or if you know your school doesn't count part time years and will skip over the 2nd year completely. OR if you know a school takes only certain years out of the 4?

Extra cookies for long answers.

Waiting for your replies! (Literally!!!)

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid

Detours are a marvelous ting, they teach us so much more than our successes while teaching us humility. Don't look backwards just forward.

Scholls with last two years, best two years, you likely have a legitimate way to explain away that one year and your future years will speak louder than any explanation, while validating it. Just maintain a fullcourse load and ace those future courses.

The world looks bright for you, the glass is not emptyor half f ull, it is overflowing. Onwards and upwards, leave the details to later. Best of luck!

P.S. I will accept just half an E-Cookie as this is one of my shorter answers, lol.

If it isn't too late (which for my school I think it would be) you should talk to someone in a position of authority, such as at your registrar's office. There are policies in place for students who experience times of illness or personal crisis.

Generally these are put in place before your final grades are entered though and they'll either allow you to pass with credit, with the grade you currently have, or drop without penalty if it is warranted.

If that's not possible, which it may not be, I would recommend finishing your degree while taking full course loads and achieving the highest possible GPA- if you can do what you did your first year for your remaining years you'll be in good shape for a number of schools- especially those that use your last 2 years to fulfill cutoffs.

Best of luck to you!

While I sympathize with your situation, you really are in a sticky situation. The prudent thing to do was for you to talk with your administration, who should be understanding, and withdraw from all your courses assuming your traumatic situation was bad enough to warrant it. But that's moot point now so let's move on.

Generally, med admissions are very unsympathetic to your situation. You are only a number to them, one of many who wants to get into their school. They'll count everything that's on your transcript. Sorry. But as you said, it was part time, and only 3 courses. I would just try to do really well in your remaining courses, and if it warrants, take a post-bacc year of classes or earn a masters and dilute out those 3 courses. The more years of courses you take, the more insignificant those 3 courses will become. Sorry to tell you that there's no quick easy fix, but just like how you'll later learn in medicine, you will need to slowly grind it out.

Hey everyone!

I am really stuck on an issue and I don't want to have the typical "What are my chances thread". I just want to get some advice on what options I have left to get into medical school.

First of all, I got 3.94 GPA in my first year. Which was great but here comes the sticky situation.

In my second year, I got 0 in one course and 50 on another and 75 on a third. This is due to an extreme personal trauma i won't get into here. The point is, my second year has a GPA of 1.xx HOWEVER, i was not a full-time student in 2nd year.

So......I'm really depressed about this and am starting my third year.

I am begging for any and all advice that could be useful. For example, any schools you think I may have a shot at. Or if you know your school doesn't count part time years and will skip over the 2nd year completely. OR if you know a school takes only certain years out of the 4?

Extra cookies for long answers.

Waiting for your replies! (Literally!!!)

What about finishing your undergraduate and then seeing what your options are. From there you can see whether or not you:

A) Can get in to a Canadian med school

B) Can go to an international school

C) Need to go back for upgrades

Are your third & fourth year gpa's similar to your first?

It is possible to request special consideration under serious circumstances in your application. That said, you'd need to have pursued getting help in a documented way in most cases. Did you seek any psychological counseling of any kind during that period of time or something similar that you could use as 'official'?

Otherwise, if your 3rd & 4th your marks were as strong as your 1st year grades, you'd have a shot at a decent number of schools (UWO, Queen's to name two, Ottawa has a weighting formula, etc.). You should do the research on these on your own since you'd more well-informed than listening to randoms on a 'net forum, however.

Anyone can tell mw which schools Ive still got a shot at and why? Big thanks

Search the forum. There are schools that consider just two years (UWO, Queens) and you may need to do an additional year or skip one year (in order to have 4th yr grades in before you apply). UofT *may* also consider you if you explain your situation in your P.Statement but I don't know how serious your problem was so can't say anything definite.

Search the forum. There are schools that consider just two years (UWO, Queens) and you may need to do an additional year or skip one year (in order to have 4th yr grades in before you apply). UofT *may* also consider you if you explain your situation in your P.Statement but I don't know how serious your problem was so can't say anything definite.

Why would UofT reject me? Don't they not look at your lowest 1.0 grades from each year and only look at full-time years?

Just wondering~

Also, I thought Queens looked at all years and not just two.

Why would UofT reject me?

You will ask for special consideration due to your special circumstances, you will write a compelling Essay, have stellar LORs, volunteerig and ECs. U/T takes a holistic approach and will consider your entire file so long as your GPA is in the ballpark (with exlanation for lower grades offset by your future years).

I see that you're going to ignore my advice about taking short cuts. You can go to the Caribbean, i guess.

That was very harsh.

To the OP you can apply to Western (best two years), Queens (last two years - you can apply here after you graduate), Manitoba (will allow you to drop a number of courses depending on how many you've done already - you may have to graduate first though and then apply), Calgary will use your best 2 years initially and then look at your overall situation which you can explain in your application.

If you want to apply during fourth year of undergrad you need to be progressing towards an Honours degree and apply to Western.

- Lupe

PS. Toronto will not drop any of your marks because you did not have a full course load in year 2

Why would UofT reject me? Don't they not look at your lowest 1.0 grades from each year and only look at full-time years?

Just wondering~

Also, I thought Queens looked at all years and not just two.

Searchfunction.jpg

I'm going to reply anyway because it's first week and I have nothing to study:

1) Queens looks at all years. If your Cumulative GPA does not meet the required cut off, they will then assess your last two years, ignoring summers unless full course loads were taken.

2) You are disqualified for UofT's weighing system (ie. dropping lowest FCE each year) because you did not take a 100% course load each year. If you have less than 5 FCEs per year then you are disqualified (unless, maybe, you have exceptional reasons which is why I said you *may* be considered). If they do not apply the weighted GPA to you, then your cGPA will not be able to reach competitive levels at UofT. Hence why you should focus on schools that weigh your best/last few years.

3) "Only look at full time years"? Western does that, not UofT.

That was very harsh.

To the OP you can apply to Western (best two years), Queens (last two years - you can apply here after you graduate), Manitoba (will allow you to drop a number of courses depending on how many you've done already - you may have to graduate first though and then apply), Calgary will use your best 2 years initially and then look at your overall situation which you can explain in your application.

If you want to apply during fourth year of undergrad you need to be progressing towards an Honours degree and apply to Western.

- Lupe

PS. Toronto will not drop any of your marks because you did not have a full course load in year 2

Wow, you think i'm too harsh? I'm a big believer in the "help me, help you" attitude, and this is all that I have to go on:

1. OP did well in first year

2. OP crapped out second year

3. That's it.

Perhaps, more background story, what's been going on since, or whatever else to make his story more complete would give us more incentive to comment sympathetically. The consensus advice seems to be to take more time and improve on his grades. Rather, he doesn't acknowledge the fact and seems to imply that he's going to apply now, "give me list of schools and why". So apparently it's now our job to convince him why certain schools are good enough for him. Well, based on the facts I've listed above, seems like the school he'll have a shot at are the Caribbean schools.

While he hasn't said much, I already see a lot of red flags about this persons candidacy:

1. The traumatizing event. While it may be totally beyond the OP's control and he may not have any fault in it, the non-disclosure makes you think and wonder.

2. What was said above. It seems like he wants to be spoon fed the info and wants to cut corners to get into med school.

3. The inaccuracy of his info. Like how the above poster pointed out, this guy does not even have accurate facts. As someone wanting to apply to med school, the admission information should be as familiar as the back of your hand. Apparently he can't even bother to quickly look it up (takes 10 secs).

If I was an admissions officer and I knew this about this candidate, I would seriously question his motivation. I'd ask for an attitude adjustment, then to try again.

(PS: I realize I assumed the OP to be a guy. If he is a she, I apologize)

Wow, you think i'm too harsh? I'm a big believer in the "help me, help you" attitude, and this is all that I have to go on:

1. OP did well in first year

2. OP crapped out second year

3. That's it.

Perhaps, more background story, what's been going on since, or whatever else to make his story more complete would give us more incentive to comment sympathetically. The consensus advice seems to be to take more time and improve on his grades. Rather, he doesn't acknowledge the fact and seems to imply that he's going to apply now, "give me list of schools and why". So apparently it's now our job to convince him why certain schools are good enough for him. Well, based on the facts I've listed above, seems like the school he'll have a shot at are the Caribbean schools.

While he hasn't said much, I already see a lot of red flags about this persons candidacy:

1. The traumatizing event. While it may be totally beyond the OP's control and he may not have any fault in it, the non-disclosure makes you think and wonder.

2. What was said above. It seems like he wants to be spoon fed the info and wants to cut corners to get into med school.

3. The inaccuracy of his info. Like how the above poster pointed out, this guy does not even have accurate facts. As someone wanting to apply to med school, the admission information should be as familiar as the back of your hand. Apparently he can't even bother to quickly look it up (takes 10 secs).

If I was an admissions officer and I knew this about this candidate, I would seriously question his motivation. I'd ask for an attitude adjustment, then to try again.

(PS: I realize I assumed the OP to be a guy. If he is a she, I apologize)

You make some very good points.

I rescind my comment.

- Lupe

Did I spell that right? rescind?

EDIT: just checked. I spelled it right.

Archived