Premed 101 Forums

25 years old, no science diploma, want to be a doctor

Hi Everyone!

After all, sorry in advance for my bad english, I'm a french girl, living in Montreal since a little time and really not bilingual !:P

So, I'm 25 years old and I have the crazy dream to go to the medicine faculty!

Problem : my "High-School diploma" is a french one and additionaly it's a literary one!

But anyway, I'm ready to follow the necessaries scientifics studies before applying for the faculty. I don't know if some of you are from Quebec but to get the scientific background you can go to the CEGEP to follow a "DEC sciences de la nature" (2 years) or at the university with a scientific program in one year. I think this university program would be bad for me, because it would not clear my High School background and at these times, I was'nt really interested by my studies...My results were just average.

So If I'd choose the university program, I would have to continue with a bachelor with excellents results of course. This is how I could hope to have a chance for an application.

My question is : is it preferable to improve my chances for the admission, going back to cegep and get the DEC diploma with a great R COTE, or do i have such of chances if I follow the university programm with then a bachelor and excellents results?

I think this would be shorter in years if I was going back to cegep, but for a medecine application, would they take in count only this DEC or ever my results from France??

Other question : Do you know persons who have gone back to school for pre-universitary programs? (I know they are a lot for professional programs). Is it a bad thing to apply to the medicine faculty only at 28 years with a DEC (and not a bachelor) or do I have the same chances than the teens if my R cote is excellent?

Thank you !

When you say 'go back to Cegep", have you ever gone to Cegep? Certainly, if not, that is the way to go. And you can apply to med school directly from Cegep, potentially getting into UDEM, Laval, Sherby - in which case, you go directly to med school (although for UDEM you will do 5 years and not 4). If McGill accpets you from Cegep into their MedP prgoram from Cegep, you need to do one year of undergrad and must obtain a certain minmum grade to continue into med school - in other words, o nly McGill makes the acceptance into med school from Cegep conditional.

And if yoyu don't get into med school from Cegep, no big deal. You are probably best off to study for your bachelor's at UDEM which will give you a bonus for purposes of considering you for med school acceptance and your degree should somehow be related to med/sciences so you are connexe universitaire.

The beauty of Cegep is that it gives you the opportunity to get into med school directly. However, if you mees up and do poorly, it is forgotten/forgiven as you effectively start with a clean slate when you go for your bachelor's. So, you can have a medicore track record and start again.

I presume that you are a Quebec resident. Good luck.

You may also want to post another thread on the French speaking forum and receive much more feedback of potential interest to you.

And of course, you will also be able to apply to U/Ottawa which has a French speaking and English stream for med school and they do not require the MCAT.

THANKS A LOT FUTURE DOC!!

You gave me great informations and clarifications.

I posted a new thread on the french speaking forum too ;)

I've never gone to CEGEP but made the equivalent in France. But I think that yeah its really better to get the canadian degree for these kind of studies!

So I will probably go to cegep (with little smart teens, hope I won't feel like an E.T ^^)

Thanks again!

Assuming you are a Quebec resident, yes, go to Cegep with little smart teens, haha, maybe date someone your junior, safer and probably better and would appreciate you more, and the world is your oyster in so many ways. Select your Cegep with care as you wnat highest grades possible as entry to med directly. Enjoy the journey, there is no rush and this is the best way for you in the circumstances. And you keep all your options open this way.

J'aurais parler en francais mais je ne comprends pas ce que j'ecrits, lol.

PEACE.

Another point: I am unsure about this but believe you need to pursue Cegep studies over the normal 2 years. So, if you are not starting immediately, subject to verification as to howe exactly this may effect you, I recommed that you wait til next Sept and don't commence your studies in Jan.

I may be wrong so obtain advice from those who know or better still, directly form the med schools. You don't want to embark upon this journey and find out later that you messed up one small detail.

f_d's advice is great since she knows all about the system in Quebec (and she's just generally awesome), but I just wanted to add that you should not even worry about your age! I'm applying for med school for the first time right now and I'm about to turn 28. The older I get, the less I really care how old I am. We're going to get older whether we apply to med school or not, so we might as well get older and be doing something we want to do. :)

Thanks both of you :)

In fact I'm not yet a permanent resident, I have to wait until next september to beginn school :))

How should I choose my Cegep, on with criterias? Because If I go in a Cegep where students are very excellent, it would probably be difficult to obtain a great R cote!!

And you're right, I have to see this new project as a real journey, wich the way is as important as the destination.

I have the luck to be with a boyfriend who will work for 2 lol, but you astrogirl, by curiosity, how will you finance your long studies years?

Is it possible to work during the faculty? Is there an equivalence for being a nurse and working as a nurse after maybe the 2nd year or something?

I ask because in France it does exist.

Really, thanks to you for your encouragements :))

You will do fine and going next Sept is excellent. Create a Cegep thread, also do some searching on this forum. Marianopolis, an English one, is the top English Cegep, high grades are more difficult than at Dawson, altho they have many who go into MedP rogram at McGill, you want entry into the Frecnh speaking med schools, not only b/c of the French but imporantly, acceptance is not conditional! And then you will learn that for UDEM, you agree to accept either Trois Rivieres or Montreal, thereby increasing your chances, same for the campus choice for Sherby.

I do not have detailed knowledge of the relative strengths and wekanesses of each Cegep for purposes of geting acceptance into med. For sure, you want the highest score possiblle. You hav eenough time to research it here on t his forum by searching, by creating threads in English and French and by your other researches and networking.

It is both complicated and simple the process of applying. let the schools figure out how they deal with you. For Laval, you will need to answer some Questions if you are selected for Interview, for Sherby, there is a psychological test, bot difficult, and for UDEM, you just apply and pray, lol. Only McGill is interested in your extra curricular activities and volunteeering, the French speaking schools only want you to be alive, lol, and to be French speaking. The MEM/MMI is in Feench and consolidated, i.e., there is just one MMI for all 3 French schools and you survive or drown.

lmao what are u saying about the 18 males?

How do you know my guilty love for young males? lolll

I am trying - delicately - to tell you that 17 year olds are jail bait. You will end your medical career beofre it starts.

A younger man will likely be more appreciative, enthusiastic and want to please you more than someone your age who takes you for granted. Moreover, while treating you as an equal, he will learn form you on the one hand, and can help prepare you for exams on the other hand. Also, you will have much more in common with his parents, solong as you keep a recpectful distance form his father, lol, who might prefer otherwise.

The best part is that you tell your current b/f, you are just studying with this 'boy', w/o telling him what you are studying, hahaha. :P

Med schools are looking for students with stamina, enthusiasm, endurance, perseverance, dedication, compassion, intelligence - isn't that what you require, lol? The world of the tiger has arrived. In praise of younger men! :D

And just reember, younger men will follow you into med school, therefore, you should adjust to your new reality (as should yout current b/f)! enjoy the journey, sounds like fun. ;)

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

(don't I sound like a teen like them with this big pathetic lol?:P )

I can't stop laughing, my bf asks why I look so stupid in front of my screen.

I probably can't explain, he would become anxious haha! You are so funny.

Hey but there is something interesting. In France, If a teen is at least 15 years, he/she can **** with adults (if consentent of course) and the adults won't go in jail (except if adults are there professors or kinda). In Canada even if it's proved that the both are consentant, from point one of them is minor, government does'nt care, isn't it?

My god, now it's sure, you 'll think I'm gonna rape poor innocent male teens !!

Well before the Quebec Civil Code was changed in serious ways, the law based upon the Napoleanic Code was that a amle could marry at the age of 14 and a female at the age of 12. This was b/c longevity was not yet in vogue and childbesaring had to begin rather early on. The kinky British who want to protect their virgin daughters, but not other dsighters who they wouold prefer to deflower, created the law, in Guina I believe where the law is still in force, that it is legal for a kman (of any age) to have sex with a woman who is 12 years of age or over. How sick!

BTW, there are no innocent male teens in this age, lol, and Mrs. Robnison from the early Dustin Hoffman era is alive and well. Tell your b/f to go on a walkabout for 6 months, hahaha.

Thanks both of you :)

I have the luck to be with a boyfriend who will work for 2 lol, but you astrogirl, by curiosity, how will you finance your long studies years?

I plan on paying for med school with student loans and a line of credit from a bank. I'm not too worried about going into debt for it, since I'll be able to pay it back and I've been able to work through my undergrad and grad degrees, so I won't have very much debt when I start med school. And working during med school seems pretty impossible.

Ok astrogirl, I thought about making a loan too, I'll see when I'll be received by the university (Yes, I got hope!haha).

Do your family and friends support you?

Future Doc, you'll be my master for developping our demoniac plan!

I 've seen your little hello on the french speaking forum, now admit it, you're just incredibly in love with me ! :cool:

Future Doc, you'll be my master for developping our demoniac plan!

I 've seen your little hello on the french speaking forum, now admit it, you're just incredibly in love with me ! :cool:

It is not a demoniac plan, rather healthy experimentation :P in which you are not just a student, rather a teacher giving high grades based upon performance (and enthusiasm and stamina and edication and perseverance and applying the motto that one gets better at it with practice). :P

And...yes.....I confess....I am following you, trapped within my fantasies that I may share with you.......alas, avenir seems to have left me and I cannot be faithful to her waiting forever, so time to find another - you! :D

Tell your b/f, get him jealous or perhaps, excited at the prospect!!

I believe that in France, the Bar regulations do not allow les avocats to have a sofa in their office. Assuming I am correct, do you know why? Standing can be good for one's health too, haha.

It is not a demoniac plan, rather healthy experimentation

And...yes.....I confess....I am following you, trapped within my fantasies that I may share with you.......alas, avenir seems to have left me and I cannot be faithful to her waiting forever, so time to find another - you! :D

Tell your b/f, get him jealous or perhaps, excited at the prospect!!

I made a confession just now on another post in the McGill Section. I am smitten by you. :P Where to go with tihs? :D Do I dare communicate with your b/f? :) Will he be sympathetic and understanding as most men would be, lol, in such a situation?

I just read your text on Mc gill forum and I just have one thing to say : LMAO What a crazy girl you are !!

You make my day ! :P

But how is it possible for you to be in love with me, have u seen my incredible beautiful face without my knowledge? :D Someone told you how intelligent and exceptional I am?

Oh no, I know, it's your "mother theresa's side", in front of my difficulties in english speaking!

Who is "avenir"? Have you betrayed me before we met with another girl?? bad!

I did not understand all you said on the other thread because of my poor english, but in fact, what are your studies? Are you still in High School? How old are you ? Do you have big breast? Aww i digress :D

Xibalba, Regarding avenir(I think avenir007), click on her name and see her old posts, then you will understand, (sigh) she seems to have left me.

Discovery, exploration is what human relations and life is all about. :P Show and tell or just exploration? :)

I will not answer your open questions in the public forum for fear of creating too much excitement. :D

Yes, I am an underage high school student, but let's pretend you don't know and I promise you won't get in trouble. :P

We will digress together, the beginning of a beautiful friendship, c'est ca? Et je voudrais apprendre la langue francais si possible. Perhaps you will be my private tutor, I am a most willing and eager student, haha. Gros bisous.

To be continued....and continued...and continued. You don't know what crazy is, haha.

Archived