Premed 101 Forums

Maritime Connections

I'm not aware that Dal favours any particular non-Maritime applicants on the basis of "strong Maritime connections" (what does that mean, anyway?). I have family in Ottawa who I've visited dozens of times, sometimes for long periods, over the years, but that didn't help me get an interview at UofO.

I'm not aware that Dal favours any particular non-Maritime applicants on the basis of "strong Maritime connections" (what does that mean, anyway?). I have family in Ottawa who I've visited dozens of times, sometimes for long periods, over the years, but that didn't help me get an interview at UofO.

This year Dal actually asked non-maritimers to outline their connections to the maritimes in the essay, and said that it would be used to help determine who got interviews, so I think that's what the OP was referring to.

Yup, that's what I was referring to. Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted to see if anyone had any inside info on the matter (maybe they give discretion points to people with strong maritime connections). I guess we'll never know...

Cheers, and good luck to everyone applying to Dal this year!

Yup, that's what I was referring to. Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted to see if anyone had any inside info on the matter (maybe they give discretion points to people with strong maritime connections). I guess we'll never know...

Cheers, and good luck to everyone applying to Dal this year!

Yeah my guess is that it either gets you extra essay points, or discretion points. This wouldn't be "unfair" towards maritimers since they're not competing for seats with non-maritimers, and if Dal's MO is to get people who intend to stay in the maritimes, then that would work.

The other option is that they're just using it as a "tiebreaker" between otherwise equal non-maritimers... Who knows...Either way, I doubt it'll make a weak application or break a strong one.

Archived