Premed 101 Forums

masters and admission

Hey guys,

I just want to ask a question...what is the likely hood of someone witha wgpa of 3.1-3.2ish and a masters degree getting into uft med? would such low marks mean they wont even have a chance or would they need to have a very stellar level of productivity during their grad years? Im saying this because im needing to decided if I should really consider moving onto my masters or doing a second degree? albeit i really have a very strong motivation for research and I do have lots of experience already (work in 4 labs, with 2 summer studentships), but I just need to know if itll be worth the time to go forward with a masters.

thanks!!

I thought the average wGPA of grad students was 3.5ish (posted somewhere on the U of T admissions site). So if you are below that I'd imagine you need an awesome list of papers to make up for it. The grad pool is still very competitive, as there are a ton of ppl in grad school who have 3.8+ GPAs in addition to masters/phd.

I compiled a list of grad student stats accepted to U of T awhile ago, have a look. Pretty high stats. I have a masters and applied and didn't get in, am now finishing a second UG degree to boost my GPA... I think a low GPA will keep you out of more schools then a master's will get you into. If meds is your goal, I'd work on the GPA.

http://www.mediafire.com/?arag9bl50lelaj3

I thought the average wGPA of grad students was 3.5ish (posted somewhere on the U of T admissions site). So if you are below that I'd imagine you need an awesome list of papers to make up for it. The grad pool is still very competitive, as there are a ton of ppl in grad school who have 3.8+ GPAs in addition to masters/phd.

I compiled a list of grad student stats accepted to U of T awhile ago, have a look. Pretty high stats. I have a masters and applied and didn't get in, am now finishing a second UG degree to boost my GPA... I think a low GPA will keep you out of more schools then a master's will get you into. If meds is your goal, I'd work on the GPA.

Where did you find this stat? I've never seen that...

I just had a look on the U of T site... they've changed it a fair bit the last year or two and I don't see it on there anymore. I definitely remember reading the accepted admissions stats and they had a separate comment about graduate stats in addition to the overall stats. Sorry I don't have a current reference. I guess asking the admissions office is the best bet.

I don't know but personally I find f_d pretty helpful. I'm new here but she seems like a really nice person. I don't mean to be mean but there's always the ignore list if you want to use them.

Agreed. Her posts are pretty much all optimistic, even if they don't all contain directly useful information. You don't like her? Fine, ignore her then...

Did anyone else have trouble opening the file from Andie's Link? When I unzipped it, it was just a folder with a few .xml files. Maybe I'm just not computer savvy enough for it.

anyway. I hope the stats you're quoting are true. thanks for all the info everyone.

ps. future_doc, I enjoy your contributions and thank you for all your thoughtful posts.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived