Premed 101 Forums

In province status Ontario

xvidkid

Hey guys this might be a stupid question, but ive been searching the fourms and I cannot find a definite answer.

How does one become IP in ontario? I am a second year student at the UofC and I was considering moving out to ontario for the last two years of university to gain in province status there. Does anyone think it is worth it?

Thanks

Hey guys this might be a stupid question, but ive been searching the fourms and I cannot find a definite answer.

How does one become IP in ontario? I am a second year student at the UofC and I was considering moving out to ontario for the last two years of university to gain in province status there. Does anyone think it is worth it?

Thanks

That is incredibly short sighted, and completely useless, especially as an Alberta resident.

Ontario residents have the hardest chance of getting into medical school of ALL provinces AND US states (California and BC are close, but still not as bad).

Toronto - no preference to Ontario

Queen's - no preference to Ontario

UWO - you have to have gone to a southwestern ontario high school to get some slight allowances in subsections of the mcat - otherwise no benefit - you can't go back in time to get preference here anyways

NOSM - once again - cannot gain northern status by just moving to north unless you live there a really really long time

McMaster - 90% of interview spots go to Ontario people - so this is the one school where Ontario IP might help - but the number of applications is so huge - it may not help much anyways

Ottawa - only ottawa area people really benefit - the slight advantage non-ottawa ontario people have over out of province is really almost negligible

Alberta and Calgary IP preference is HUGE, and those medical schools have rapidly grown recently. Moving to Ontario to get IP status for medical school is insane. IT can only hurt your cause.

Some schools have regional preferences (SWOMEN and UWO, and Ottawa region for Uottawa, Northern Ontario for NOSM) but these preferences only work for long term residents (High school attendance in SWOMEN area for SWOMEN status, long term Northern residence for NOSM). Definitely not worth it to move here when Calgary and Alberta both have in province preference. :)

Archived