Premed 101 Forums

Is medicine not for me?

mechanics

I haven't heard of this before - I thought non-trad were often better candidates as they have life experience, ecs, volunteer, and maturity. (in many cases... :P)

Why would a trad out of UG have a better chance, given similar GPA, MCAT, EC, Volunteer?

2 reasons-

1. The volunteer work is not always treated the same. If you're doing the volunteer work without the intention of doing it to get into med school, you might not choose the same work, you might not try to take on leadership roles. Work experience is similar. I worked low-end jobs for quite a while, which might be hard for me to explain. Doing it so you can put food on the table, because the economy is depressed, and so you can put your partner through college? Not necessarily looked on favorably and is VERY difficult to explain in the limited space they give you on apps.

2. If you do a few years of an UG degree without really, really caring about your marks, you can wind up with some marginal grades that are REALLY hard to overcome.

I really think that the "get-into-med-school-robots" out there have a huge advantage.

Archived