Premed 101 Forums

Electives at UBC

Hi,

I will be entering clerkship next year and want to do an elective at UBC, as I am considering applying there for residency.

Many of the areas I am interested in require a 4 week elective in Vancouver or Victoria, but only require a 2 week elective at some of the other peripheral sites (Kelowna, for ex).

I was only hoping to do a 2 week elective to keep costs down and because of commitments back at home. I know that although not technically necessary, if you want to go to a school for residency it is good to have done an elective there. My question is, would an elective at a peripheral site such as Kelowna be looked at the same as one done at Vancouver General? ie- Would an elective at a site like Kelowna be considered having done an elective with UBC?

I think that if you want to get into a residency here in Vancouver - don't you want to do the elective in Vancouver and get to know the current staff and residents - who hopefully will love you when you round at 5:30am(which I plan to do if I ever get in), are super eager to learn, and when answering a call offering to show you something you never respond "Oh...that...I've seen that already" ....and then they'll put in a good word for you when it's time for CaRMS??? I think that this holds true ...especially for some of the smaller programs. I know one particularly annoying individual who came to do an elective at VGH who annoyed the residents and staff so much that they made sure that he didn't get into their service.

u should get a letter from CTU if you want to be competitive for internal. so if you can't get a good letter from your core rotation, then doing it as an elective is an option.

i wanted to explore other subspecialties so i didn't bother with ctu. besides i just came off CTU when 4th year started lol totally needed a break !

How are you liking the program so far?

What has been good? Not so good?

Maybe I can answer this question given i am in the same program now.

Good: you learn a lot of things in CTU and all internal med subspecialties. Faculty are generally very nice and eager to teach.

Not-so-good: busy call schedules at times, especially when you are doing in-patient services such as CTU, CCU, ICU. However, I think this is the same for all IM programs across the country.

It is tiring at times, but you learn a lot.

Archived