Premed 101 Forums

I really need your advises!

psychinmind

I'm a psych major student at UBC. Just recently, I got interested in becoming a psychiatrist -- meaning that I should consider going to medical school.

I have been very serious about going to medical school since the beginning of this new school year. I am in my third year with very very low GPA. I have reasons for struggling in school for past two years (medical diagnoses were found at the end of my second year, personal issues and experiences), and I am getting better.

Although I have really low GPA, I have been volunteering at a medical-developmental related lab since I was in my first year. I am in the process of translating a couple of books about experiences of a doctor, and I am planning to do a research (medicine method related) in another country for about two months. I have very strong reasons and motivation for willing to become a doctor (especially a psychiatrist).

So, say if I get straight A's for this year and my fourth year and bring up my GPA, do you think I can still dream about going to med school? I really don't know what to do. I read some people advising other people to do another Bachelor's degree, and some others advising to go to grad school and then apply... but I would like to know if I can have a shot in getting into med school right after undergrad. I have to shape up what I'm going to be doing in next two or three years... Should I go to graduate school and then apply? Or forget about it, just continue studying in psychology? Should I take an year off and have my final GPA (including fourth year) and then apply? I feel like I'm really going to regret later in my life if I don't become a doctor. But I'm a little confused and lost. For my medical issues and reasoning to have unsuccessful first two years, is there any school that consider personal statements or essays like some law schools?

Please give me some advises! Thanks in advance, and good luck with everything!!

Hello future_doc

For now, I am only permitted to take maximum three courses per term (this is done by the academic advising and disabilities office). I don't think it's a full course load compare to other students, but this is what I am allowed to take for this year. Would this make things different?

It would as you are unable to show you have the aiblity to withstand rigourous study, which medicine requires. In other words, how can you show that you are able to take a normal course load as inmed if you don't do it?

Mind you, having a compelling explanation helps, however, you won;t be allowed to study medicine part time, so I believe the problem continues. Why not have a word with admission office of one of the med schools and see their reaction. Howver, given your low GPA at this stage, at least, you would need stellar grades on a part time basis to even begin to try to make a case. You have an uphill battle and I woukld think at the every minimum to have a fighting chance you would need not less than one year of a full course load.

If medicine is your dream, there should be nothing in your way to impede your pursuit. Apply and see what happens. It's very hard to translate what your experiences will translate into in terms of UBC numbers. The great thing about UBC is that they publicize the standards so you know exactly where you stand. If you get in, great! If you miss the cut by a small margin, you can think about some minor tweeks to get you through. If you are off by a big margin, well, then you know what you need to do.

Archived