Premed 101 Forums

UVIC AQ Calculation

Hey guys,

I know UBC is very secretive regarding how they calculate the AQ and NAQ of prospective students; however, I'm curious if anyone has any insight into how they convert grades from one school to another (I'm curious about UVIC in particular).

For example, UVIC uses the 9 point GPA scale where an A+ = 9, an A = 8, etc.

I've heard rumors that UBC gives you the lowest possible conversion to percentage, meaning that if your overall GPA was a 7 they would convert this to 80% even though it is likely that your average is closer to 82.5%.

I have also come across this formula in the past to calculate your AQ score:

O=overall average of every course (in percent)

L=average of last 60 credits (in percent)

(O)*0.6+(L)*0.4 = C

AQ = 1.0422*©-63.8

For any UVIC students who have received an AQ score in the past, is this formula at all accurate and does it provide any insight into how they convert our 9 point GPA to a percentage?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Plastic

I'd agree that calculating your average based on the lowest possible score would be the most conservative thing to do... no bad surprises that way.

However, if your school provides a % score and a letter grade and overall GPA on their transcripts then I would think (and I'm only guessing) that UBC would have to use the % you received... if however, your transcripts only give a GPA or letter grade then you will probably get the lowest of that specific letter grade.

I'd agree that calculating your average based on the lowest possible score would be the most conservative thing to do... no bad surprises that way.

However, if your school provides a % score and a letter grade and overall GPA on their transcripts then I would think (and I'm only guessing) that UBC would have to use the % you received... if however, your transcripts only give a GPA or letter grade then you will probably get the lowest of that specific letter grade.

More and more I hear, I get the strong feeling that percentage or not, UBC downgrades students from all other universities. I don't pretend to understand why, but the bright side is that we don't need a ~3.9 to be competitive and we can all make ground on NAQ to counterbalance it.

I think a reasonable prediction is to use the formula to calculate an approximate AQ score and subtract 2 or 3 marks (I'm from SFU but that has been the most reasonable assessment).

Archived