Premed 101 Forums

Dear Canadian Dental students about back door dental school

I whole heartedly believe that preferential (associate) hiring for graduates of Canadian dental schools exist.

If foreign trained dentists believe they can just pass the NDEB exams and set up a practice in Toronto just like that, I think many of them are going to be in for a big surprise. No where on the NDEB site is there any mention of saturation and whatnot. I think they should make it extremely clear to foreign dentists what the market is like in Canada before accepting their thousands of dollars to write the exam. The government has got to stop telling everyone "dentists are in high demand" on their visa websites. What a joke.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I whole heartedly believe that preferential (associate) hiring for graduates of Canadian dental schools exist.

If foreign trained dentists believe they can just pass the NDEB exams and set up a practice in Toronto just like that, I think many of them are going to be in for a big surprise. No where on the NDEB site is there any mention of saturation and whatnot. I think they should make it extremely clear to foreign dentists what the market is like in Canada before accepting their thousands of dollars to write the exam. The government has got to stop telling everyone "dentists are in high demand" on their visa websites. What a joke.

actually, I heard that some principal dentists prefer to hire graduates from US due to canadian graduates not getting enough clinical exposure compared to them...along the same line, I guess some may prefer to hire foreign trained dentists too?

actually, I heard that some principal dentists prefer to hire graduates from US due to canadian graduates not getting enough clinical exposure compared to them...along the same line, I guess some may prefer to hire foreign trained dentists too?

Yes, that seems perfectly reasonable as most schools in the US give their students a lot more clinical exposure. But when it comes to foreign trained dentists... I'm sure there will be the rare few out there who would preferentially hire someone from a non accredited school, but I'm sure that's a rarity :P Can't imagine why anyone would when they've got so many potential candidates to choose from.

hmm.. it's so sad.. it's much harder to get in here in Canada and people who went to US has easier time finding jobs even in Canada?

Yes, that seems perfectly reasonable as most schools in the US give their students a lot more clinical exposure. But when it comes to foreign trained dentists... I'm sure there will be the rare few out there who would preferentially hire someone from a non accredited school, but I'm sure that's a rarity :P Can't imagine why anyone would when they've got so many potential candidates to choose from.

There are programs in Australia that are 5 years which have 3 years of full years of clinical for the students vs only the 2 in the North America System.

Can't imagine why anyone would when they've got so many potential candidates to choose from.

because some foreign trained dentists have been working as a dentist for 5 or 10 or X number of years. They are comfortable at doing molar endo, surgical extractions and/or placing implants...

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for bring up this old thread. I am currently an Australian dental student (australian citizen) looking to work in the USA. I am well aware that, US wont recognise my qualifications. Hence, I was looking at applying to Canadian dental schools as an international student ( I believe that the cost works out to be overall cheaper than US International dental program) and I can use the reciprocal agreement, if I have to go back to Aus. I have got the following options in mind:

1) Transfer into UoT DDS in 2nd year. I believe that the tuition fees is $80000 CAD/year, which is quite expensive but it lets me finish my degree quicker (my degree is 5 years undergrad). The total cost of my complete degree in Aus is $50000 AUD. So I will be paying 5 times more for a toronto education.

2) Apply as an international student for the 4 year dental program ( I receive my bachelor this year, My average is 75%). I was looking at applying to McGill (bit devastated when they removed their transfer pathway this year - my favourite university) as they dont need canadian DAT. Would I have any shot with my score?? The tuition is cheaper than UoT for the 4 years.

3) Complete Canadian hospital general practice residency. Some US states (Washington) will let me work after a 2 years posteducation requirement. Are Canadian residencies recognised in the USA?

4) Using Canada, what would be the best way of working in the USA?

If any Canadian dentist or an Australian trained dentist (working in USA) would assist with my query, I would greatly be appreciative !.

Thank you.

• 2 years later...

someone reported this thread as being old with outdated information. I mean I suppose I wouldn't be surprised as the thread was started in 2010 and last replied a long time ago. I don't like removing old content but am adding a note that some people fell more current information should be sought. 

11 hours ago, rmorelan said:

someone reported this thread as being old with outdated information. I mean I suppose I wouldn't be surprised as the thread was started in 2010 and last replied a long time ago. I don't like removing old content but am adding a note that some people fell more current information should be sought. 

A lot of the information is still valid in this thread but I agree with you that people need to read old posts with a grain of salt 
due to the constant change of policies and information floating around on the internet

Archived